Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: what ford engine to build

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chevydrivin is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 55 belair: 68 Camaro: 69 F100: 51 M37's

what ford engine to build

Hello everybody, I need some advise from some ford experts. My nephew has got his hands on a 1969 cougar and is getting the body redone now. We put a 351W out of an 82 LTD cop car, its worn out but runs decent. He wants to stroke the 351W but I am thinking he would be better off with a 429 or 460. He wants 400 to 500 HP so I think we can get there easier with more cubes. If he can talk my uncle out of it, he has a 69 or so 429 with some CJ heads we could build. He did not want to go with that because he does not think it will fit in the car. I think some came with 390s and i am thinking that is wider than the 460, is it?
    So what do yall think the best one to build would be, He already has a C6 built for it.

48fordnut is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

crites restorations in ohio has the parts to put the 429/460 in the cougar. for the same money use a 460 crank. the rods are the same and pistons of your choice. I have had lots of sucess boring the block .080 and ,i think making a 477.i have used the smaller chambered police interceptor heads and slightly smaller ports and valves. better port velocity. several yrs ago hrm did a 500 hp build on a 460 , listed all the parts, and cam . fairly in expensive. crites has the rad, m/ms and headers.

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Factory cubes are always the cheapest. A 460 is a good choice for the Cougar, it fits in just fine.

erik erikson is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: BLOWN 540 57 CHEVY

Quote Originally Posted by chevydrivin
    Hello everybody, I need some advise from some ford experts. My nephew has got his hands on a 1969 cougar and is getting the body redone now. We put a 351W out of an 82 LTD cop car, its worn out but runs decent. He wants to stroke the 351W but I am thinking he would be better off with a 429 or 460. He wants 400 to 500 HP so I think we can get there easier with more cubes. If he can talk my uncle out of it, he has a 69 or so 429 with some CJ heads we could build. He did not want to go with that because he does not think it will fit in the car. I think some came with 390s and i am thinking that is wider than the 460, is it?
    So what do yall think the best one to build would be, He already has a C6 built for it.
    If you already have the 351 W in the car why not build a stroker.
    Ther are many kits out there.
    I would try a 418.
    With a 4.100 stroke it will make some serious torque.
    With 6.20 rod length you rod ratio is not bad either.
    The main advantage over the 429/460 is weight.
    We have built 418's that go well over 550 hp with good heads and a hyd. roller cam.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

You can build more torque out of the 460, but as Eric said the extra weight will negate the gains... I'd do the Windsor stroker with aluminum heads and intake. The cheapest performance increase is always going to be making the car lighter!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Irelands child is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Ford 5.0L '31 A Brookville Roadster

I love cubic inches and 460's have them - and are expensive to build. But with the easily and reasonably priced available parts for a 351W, that's the way I'd go. Plus I have a couple of 'virgin' OEM 351W blocks.

There already is a 351 in the car which makes life easier to begin with, a .030 overbore gets you to 355. Stroker kits can get to 396, 408, then all the way to 427 in increments.

Horsepower? Depends on the thickness of your wallet, but 5 to 600+ is easily done. My last 355 was dynoed at just under 400 with comparatively mild mods.
    Dave

TedIII is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 67cougar 70caddy deville 06 HD RKC

I can understand both opinions. I have a 67 cougar with a built 460. And its my opinion that if this is going to be a street driven cat with 400 to 500 hp. I would go with the 351. Parts for it are easy to find and cost a lot less than the 460. I also remove the shock towers and put a mustang II front subspension for more room.
    http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/tzamk2/

67 cougar burn rubber not your soul!

Sinister is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 76 camaro

Wink

I like Erik's idea about beefing up the 351. You said it was already worn out..... sounds like the perfect excuse to make a real powerhouse out of it, and embarrass the bigblock guys to boot!

There is another option nobody has mentioned yet, and i'll probably get some flak for it, but if you want some real power...and I'm talking about, take your breath away, make your heart skip a beat, power..........................

...............you got to put a Chevy in it!
    I ain't dumb, I just ain't been showed a whole lot!

chevydrivin is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 55 belair: 68 Camaro: 69 F100: 51 M37's

I am a chevy guy but since this is his FORD I did not even mention it. I mean a pre 70's car like the cougar needs a ford engine, I do believe in keeping a car all one make, Unless its a drag car(then I would recomend the Chevy Big Block)LOL.
    But seriously he has already got new motor mounts and headers and starter and alteranator and all that good stuff so we will go with the 351W. Even though I don't know much about a fords. What will the 2 bolt block handle? Or do they even make a factory 4 bolt? The only thing from the engine we would use would be the Block, the rest will be trashed and replaced.

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

I could point out all the short comings of the bb chevy over the much superior designed ford bb,but I do not have to anymore,everyones catchin on,even the car rags.
    Of course all the new chevies have the ford layout and firing order now ,soo there getin better.
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister

...............you got to put a Chevy in it!
    Let me guess, antother 350/350!!!!! That'd sure kill the value of the car!!!!!

Brand loyalty is good, until it becomes blind loyalty!!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

bulldogcountry1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 Ford 2dr. Sedan

you can get over 400HP out of that 351W with the stock crank and some aluminum heads...and get some reasonable gas milage.
    Andy

My project build video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iubRRojY9qM

Sinister is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 76 camaro

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Severson
    Let me guess, antother 350/350!!!!! That'd sure kill the value of the car!!!!!

Brand loyalty is good, until it becomes blind loyalty!!!!!

I was just trying to get a rise out of you guys.

I would never put a Chevy into a Mustang, it would be like putting a Ford engine in a camaro......it's just wrong! I still like the idea of building up the 351w.If I ever have the time or money, I wouldn't mind building a Ford, just to broaden my horizons.

Later guys.....

Adam
    I ain't dumb, I just ain't been showed a whole lot!

stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

I'm currently building a 460. As I search around for parts it seems it might be cheaper to do the 351w! Just look at the cost of crate engines with that kind of horsepower. The smaller blocks seem to be cheaper per horsepower in the 350-400 range. Also weight is a huge factor. Look at postings about the old cobras. Many people will tell you the 289s were much more nibble than their big block brothers. The 351w is a good engine with nice performance.
    What ever you guys decide, don't put a chevy engine in it. They may be cheaper but you might as well buy a camero!(no pun intended chevy guys, just a proprietary issue with ford and chevy mixing - what can I say I'm a purist!)
    Last edited by stovens; 10-20-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Either engine can get you there easily enough and for the same bottm line dollar.

At 500 hp, the 460 engine can do that with OEM passenger car block, heads, crank, rods, etc and be super reliable, better street manners, etc.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast