Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 72 429 69 HEADS Pushrod Size?

Reply To Thread
    Mempho is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Ford F1 429ci

72 429 69 HEADS Pushrod Size?

I have 56 Ford with a 1972 429. The 72 heads are junk, so I have gotten some 69 heads and had them rebuilt. I am getting some Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers and know I will need guideplates and studs. I am not sure which size pushrods to use 5/16 or 3/8. Did Ford switch sizes during a certain year? Why are some 3/8 and others 5/16? HELP!!!!!

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Comp lists 5/16" pushrods for '72 to '78 and 3/8" for '69 to '71. Since they list the same lifter for all years, I would think the difference is in the heads, not the block. So, if the blocks are the same, order 3/8" pushrods.

The first thing I would do though, is to order 1 part# 7703-1 Hi-Tech checking pushrod to check your geometry on each corner of the motor. Then order pushrods that are closest to the length you find by checking.
    http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...106-07/249.pdf
    http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...106-07/264.pdf
    http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...106-07/265.pdf
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

nitrowarrior is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

You can run the 3/8. Just match the guide plate to them and be sure the pushrods are hardened to accept the plates. 8.55" in length is stock dimension.
    What if the "Hokey Pokey" is what it's really all about?

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mempho
    I have 56 Ford with a 1972 429...69 heads....some Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers and know I will need guideplates and studs. I am not sure which size pushrods to use 5/16 or 3/8. Did Ford switch sizes during a certain year? Why are some 3/8 and others 5/16? HELP!!!!!
    All Ford production 429s & 460s came with 5/16" pushrods from the factory. There are all kinds of pushrod diameters, lengths and even wall thicknesses available for engine building because these options/choices are dependent on the final engine application(s).

Whether you need the factory length 8.55" pushrod or not depends on which rocker arms you run. Most all aftermarket rocker arms will require a pushrod length that is different than stock and/or applicable only to that brand roller rocker, in order to establish correct rocker arm geomtery, so if you run the Comp Pro-Magnums as you intend, you will first need to figure out your rocker arm geometry and then order the correct length pushrods.

With roller rockers, you will need to run hardened pushrods with the guideplates, because standard pushrods will be chewed up by the guideplates.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Mempho is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Ford F1 429ci

Thanks

Thanks all for the response, Man this is a great site!

Reply To Thread