Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Closed PCV system questions

Reply To Thread
    Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

Closed PCV system questions

Hey all, kind of buried this in my dressup post so thought I had better just do its own thread if I want to get the answers on it.

My 429 has what I believe is correctly termed a closed PCV system, a pcv valve on one end with a tube going from the valve cover to the carburator. on the other valve cover a tube going up to the air cleaner.

I want to change out the black crinkle finish metal pcv thingy on the one valve cover and put something nice and shiny on the other side (right now hose from VC to aircleaner is just hooked directly to VC). My question is:

on the VC to Air Cleaner side does it have to be a closed cap with nipple for the hose or can I use the K&R cap that has an exposed filter and a nipple for the hose?

I don't really understand how the system works so don't know if the exposed filter on the K&R would be detrimental to the function or would change it from a closed to an open PCV system despite still utilizing the tube to the air cleaner.

for that matter, what is the difference between closed and open PCV systems and performance etc?

Thanks a lot.

Red

Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

Thanks Denny. I didn't know if the filter on the left (passenger) side valve cover would open it, thanks for answering. it looks cool but I'll stick with closed, although it won't be a highway driven, if it is better for the engine then that enough reason for me.

About your tag line, I figured it out once and explained it to some fems I was defending MANkind against. I explained it this way,"men never lie, we believe what we say when we're saying it, which makes it the truth."

Red

Reply To Thread