Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: E6TE head porting question

Reply To Thread
    jrmillar is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

E6TE head porting question

Hi all,

I recently acquired, from the salvage yard, an '86 F250 XLT long box ext cab w/ a 460, T18/13-45, 10.25/D50.

The motor threw a rod b/c the previous owner ran it out of oil (there was a bolt in the dip stick hole ). I've torn the engine completely apart and discovered the thermactor bumps are drilled out. Can I still port the exhaust passages?? Can I just plug the hole on the end of the head and be good to go or would I need to have each individual bump hole welded closed?

Also, is there anything special/different about the E6TE heads?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

Do a search on the web for thermactor plugging or similar.
    I am not sure on the size ,but they use a solid rod to plug those ,just not sure on the size of the solid rod that is used and if you need to drill anything.
    You can search this site and the info is there....http://www.460ford.com/
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by jrmillar
    Hi all,
    I've torn the engine completely apart and discovered the thermactor bumps are drilled out. Can I still port the exhaust passages?? Can I just plug the hole on the end of the head and be good to go or would I need to have each individual bump hole welded closed?

Also, is there anything special/different about the E6TE heads?

Thanks in advance for any info!!
    E6TE heads are essentially the same as D3VE heads except for a different accessory bolt hole size.

The holes that are drilled in the smog bumps are the air pump injection passages, and they do not need to be plugged off in each port except under the most demanding high HP situations. If left unplugged, the amount of "crosstalk" that they will allow between ports is negligible, perhaps 1-3 cfm. Just run them as-is (unplugged at the ports) but be sure to cap off the ends of the heads where the smog pump manifold is normally botled. This can be done with a 43/64" metal expansion plug.

Those heads benefit tremendoulsy from exhaust porting. While you are in there, also blend the intake bowl, the exhaust bowl and also the short turn radius on the exhaust port.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Wow, Thank you for all the great information!
    I had planned to do all the porting work you mentioned, so hopefully this weekend (Mem. day) I can make some 'head' way on them.

One other question: What is the stock valve size on these heads? Is it 2.19 and 1.72? Would it be worth going one 'step' larger in a truck motor that lives below 5000, maybe 5500? I have a Weiand stealth intake, a Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cam, headers, and speedpro forged slugs for it....if that info helps any.

Thanks again!

thesals is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 mustangFB, 69 econline Drag Van

you're not going to benefit from it enough to justify the cost to have the heads reseated for larger valves..... and i'd be better for a high RPM situation anyways...
    just because your car is faster, doesn't mean i cant outdrive you... give me a curvy mountain road and i'll beat you any day

Alright thanks, good to know.

Now about my C/R...
    The speedpro's I have are the ones w/ the 22cc dish; combine this w/ ±97cc heads and I'm only at ~8:1. How much can I/could I/should I deck the block and/or mill the heads to get up close to 9:1? Even a little shy of that would be fine.

Thanks for the responses!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by jrmillar
    Wow, Thank you for all the great information!
    I had planned to do all the porting work you mentioned, so hopefully this weekend (Mem. day) I can make some 'head' way on them.

One other question: What is the stock valve size on these heads? Is it 2.19 and 1.72? Would it be worth going one 'step' larger in a truck motor that lives below 5000, maybe 5500? I have a Weiand stealth intake, a Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cam, headers, and speedpro forged slugs for it....if that info helps any.

Thanks again!
    Stock valve sizes are 2.09 & 1.65. The larger valves you are considering can be fit to these heads; be sure to do the associated bowl work, or the addition of the larger valves is essentially pointless.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread