Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: hard to start

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Big Tracks is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '79 Dodge Diplomat Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tuckpointer74
    we where also thinking that there might be a resistor of some type on the 59 ford that would be making the spark not get as much power?
    That's what I was getting at when I asked if the engine runs while the key is in the start position then quits as soon as the key is released.

Jim

tuckpointer74 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1959 ford f-100

we had it running for about 1.5 minutes. sounded good. but never has started since. maybe solid lifters to tight? we did put some lash

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

That's one of the things that came to mind because if they warmed up the lash might get too tight. Try backing off a little on each lifter, they might clatter, but this will tell you if that is what is going on. Only other things I can think of would be a module in dist or coil acting up when hot, but these usually either work or don't. But I have had them do contrary things sometimes.

Don

tuckpointer74 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1959 ford f-100

i never could get the engine to start again and could hardly turn it over by hand. so we pulled it out and put another 460 in and it started, but when we finished it up to test drive it ran for about 10 seconds then quit. we tried to start it again and it back fired thru the carb. so we went to double check the timming, it had jumped time. so we pulled the distibutor out and was going to check a few other things, laying the new pro comp distributor next to the original ford and the dang gear on the new one is smaller than the ford. the jerks i ordered it from sent me the wrong gear on my new distributor GM style HEI. now the teeth tips are sheared off on both my cams. hopfully the first one i have so much money in is salavgable. the second one had metal in the oil pan but no where else so far. i am just sick now and PO'ed at this supposedly race place. i should have check the darn thing tho but since i ordered it for a 460 and that is what the box said i did'nt think about it. still waiting on the Company to get back to me. just thought i would let you guys know.. thanks for all your help.
    JB
    Last edited by tuckpointer74; 04-02-2007 at 08:11 AM.

thesals is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 mustangFB, 69 econline Drag Van

yeah i hate when places do that..... most the time unless they're a very reputable company, they wont pay for any damage that their mistake did to you engine...... and even then the reputable are tough to get to pay out.... most the time the only thing they'll replace is the part that ruined your motor, because thats what the warranty states.... hopefully these guys will right their wrongs for you.....
    just because your car is faster, doesn't mean i cant outdrive you... give me a curvy mountain road and i'll beat you any day

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2