Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: hp estimate

Reply To Thread
    import600 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

hp estimate

I've got a 429 out of 1971 torino.my question is anyone know what this engine has stock? and say i get a cam for more low end pull, and a manifold, 4brl carb and headers, what would be a good estimate to what it'd put out then? thanks

kyle

thesals is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 mustangFB, 69 econline Drag Van

that 428 will put out about 335-350 stock HP... depending on your cam intake and carb... you might get it to 350-370 HP
    just because your car is faster, doesn't mean i cant outdrive you... give me a curvy mountain road and i'll beat you any day

davidmitchem197 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1971 and 1969 mach 1 mustang

I got a old hemmings muscle machine magazine and it says that a 429 for a 71 torino would put out 370 horsepower @ 5,400 rpm's and 450 torque @3,400 rpm's.Then there is another one that is rated a 360 but don't know much about that one, but it is in another HMMM magazine just different month.But does not give all the information like I have for the first one.It says that it is a four barrel the one that is rated at 370 hp. I didn't know if you wanted the rpm's I just wrote it like it is in the book.

thesals is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 mustangFB, 69 econline Drag Van

depends according to my interchange book there were 2 429s offered in the torino one was the 4v and the other was the CJ the 4v is listed at 230hp @4400 322tq @2600 the CJ is listed 370HP @5400 and 425tq @3200 so it really depends what heads you motor has on currently... if you give me the castings i can tell you which motor you have
    just because your car is faster, doesn't mean i cant outdrive you... give me a curvy mountain road and i'll beat you any day

falcon8r is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 61 falcon,69 k10 step,92talon,86GMC 383

The cobrajet and supercj heads are the same except valve material and srings. The super was a solid cam. The reg 429 head and 460 head are sim. The very early 460 has a diff deck ht. set up. All heads interchange but the jet castings have much bigger ports and dont look like any of 460 iron heads. The jets had Rochester Q/J carbs in torinos. Not alot of em around either-mainly cobra models. A good running 429 jet is a solid 375 hp engine, the supers more. A blue thunder -jet dual plane intake and an 850 holley style carb will wake it up serious if it's a jet.

Reply To Thread