Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 street machine

Reply To Thread

Hybrid View

jrf1986 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 77 lincoln mark v

460 street machine

Im planning on building my first performance engine. Im shooting for 700hp range for street driving. Not sure what I should use. Any help like how big I should stroke it to or what kind of heads I should put on

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Assuming you are building a naturally aspirated engine, 700HP would be quite a radical 460 in a street-driven application, unpleasant to drive in stop & go traffic, very obnoxious to the motorists around you (and eventually to yourself), etc.

Have you ever had a 700HP V8 engine and are you sure this is what you want for the street? And for your "first performance build?" If this is definitely what you want to do, then be prepared to spend some big money and also do more maintenance than what would typically be required of a street vehicle, especially in the area of valve train maintenance.

I would absolutely vote for a big stroker in this case, because the power can be made at lower rpms, and also there will be a much wider overall usable power range with the big engine. (Conversely, the little 700 HP 460 would be piss-wound all day long.) How you get to your desired HP range may be handled a variety of ways, depending on stroker kit size, heads used, etc. I would lean toward 4.3 stroke minimum, and possibly aluminum heads (would make acheiving the HP goal easier), etc.

I already know what I would do in this case, but don't know enough about your needs in such a build. What will this engine be going into? Must it run on pump gas? Aluminum heads or max ported factory iron heads? Perhaps most importantly, what is the cap spending limit on this engine?

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 12-06-2005 at 10:07 PM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

FMXhellraiser is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 46 Chrysler,49 Ford,66 F100,68 Lincoln

Paul is right... That is a little over doing it unless this is a strictly race car. If you wont be racing this car every weekend then it's a waste.... 700 HP is a TON of power!!! There is the 514 crate motor for around 7-8 grand and it has 625 HP. 700 HP would be VERY hard to get out of just a 460 unless you had THOUSANDS of dollars into it. Then what about the transmission? You better be running a full on race C6 or something with that kind of power. Then what about the rear end? 28 or 31 spline axles and stock gears wont handle or cut that.... You will need a race rear end too. Then what about the chassis? See, the list goes on and on. I think you should try looking at around 400-450 HP out of a naturally aspirated 460 and then have a fairly built C6 and 31 spline axles. Much simpler that way IMO.
    www.streamlineautocare.com

If you wan't something done right, then you have to do it yourself!

jrf1986 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 77 lincoln mark v

Im saying 700 because when im done it probally will have less then that and coming out closer to the 600 range. Also its going in a 77 mark v lincoln so it is a heavy car and need alot of power to make the sled move. I was thinking of going to a 4.5"stroke on it which I think is the longest (still doing research on 460's). Right now im trying to get an idea of what I should do. If you would post what you would do It would help because I can research the parts see what the gains/losses are of each. Also it is my first engine but im not building it alone and I have a lot of connections through my job with machine shops and engine builder so cost wouldnt be as high. But anyway im not sure what my price range is right now because im not sure how much it costs to build a good engine. I see 600+Hp crate motors going for 6-7k so im guessing it shouldnt cost close to that to build one. As far as transmission I have a c6 in the which i will get rebuilt and a ford 9" which will get done over to. Anyway im trying to figure out which block would be the best and which heads to run on pump gas

Reply To Thread