Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 Twin turbo advice

Reply To Thread
    Chudik is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

460 Twin turbo advice

Finally I know what I planning to build ļ

460 Twin turbo around 600- 800 HP

I have C9VE-B block and D3VE-A2A heads
    What piston do I need in order to maintain low compression 9.0:1 or 9.5:1for a turbo setup

I¡¦m going to do some porting job on the heads and intake

What you think about this setup, I¡¦m gong to use 2 H1C turbots same as a HX35 form a Dodge 5.9

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

i have built a twin turbo big block 542 chevy and did some work on a twin turbo buick V6 do not do much port work and very little on the ex port i wound run a very good ex valves ss or inconel . you what the headers short as you can. and 1 7/8 or 2 on the primary tub on the pistons JE or SRP coat the tops and fine better rods .on the turbo the ex side need to be small so it will spool the tubo you want to run my be to big

great info Thanks
    Mustang LX 1990
    Mustang GT 1994
    Mustang 68 Coupe

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool Re: 460 Twin turbo advice

Originally posted by Chudik
    460 Twin turbo around 600- 800 HP

I have C9VE-B block and D3VE-A2A heads
    What piston do I need in order to maintain low compression 9.0:1 or 9.5:1 for a turbo setup

I'm going to do some porting on the heads and intake

What you think about this setup, I'm gong to use 2 H1C turbos, same as a HX35 form a Dodge 5.9
    With that block and those heads, flat-top pistons will get you at about 9.5:1 compression ratio.

I am not up on turbos but generally speaking, I think that's a bit more than usual compression for a turbo engine if you wish to run a lot of boost. It is my understanding that you'd be better off running less compression with more boost (as opposed to more compression with less boost). With too high compression, just a little boost can burn up your motor. Since you want as much as 800HP, I'd say lower your compression ratio and use more boost to get there. For example, the TRW L2404's have a 22cc dish and this would give your combo a 8.25-8.4:1 compression ratio.

The heads you intend to use can be made to work well with the proper porting. In fact, a friend of mine is running a twin turbo 460 with D3VE heads and it goes like a bat out of hell. Keep in mind, however, that the D3VE exhaust port is very restrictive for your application and needs a lot of work, because the exhaust gasses are a critical part of turbocharging and must reach the vanes ASAP to expand there and not beforehand in the, well, most convoluted production exhaust port ever offered in the 429/460 engine family. Free up that exhaust flow.

Also, be thinking about some damn good, name brand H-Beam rods and other bottom end strengthening hardware.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

the heads may not be good. not a ford guy.but you do not want to go nuts on the ex port need to have a good port to make the turbo work. and not a big lazy port . the hp is not much it should be easy to get the V6 was 850 hp and the 542 should be at 1200 hp any h beam rod will take the hp you are looking to be at

The H1C turbo¡¦s are capable of pushing 30+ PSI of boost, so you are absolutely correct about lover compression, but what the 8.5:1 compression will do to my regular driving experience? More gas hard to start? I forgot to monition its going to be EFI car, for better control and fuel efficiency.
    Well 7.5 L on the TT Turbo not the best way to save on gas but, I don¡¦t wont to get 1 MPG on it ƒº

Do you have any recommendation for a cam for my new toy?
    Last edited by Chudik; 11-09-2005 at 07:34 AM.
    Mustang LX 1990
    Mustang GT 1994
    Mustang 68 Coupe

Originally posted by Chudik
    The H1C turbo¡¦s are capable of pushing 30+ PSI of boost, so you are absolutely correct about lover compression, but what the 8.5:1 compression will do to my regular driving experience? More gas hard to start? I forgot to monition its going to be EFI car, for better control and fuel efficiency.
    Well 7.5 L on the TT Turbo not the best way to save on gas but, I don¡¦t wont to get 1 MPG on it ƒº

Do you have any recommendation for a cam for my new toy?
    that is a hell of alot of boost fined some MLS head gaskets 600 to 800 i wound think more like the hi side you will need some very good stuff .cam roller may be custom comp or howards

Reply To Thread