Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 Id?

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikeclaytonr1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

429 Id?

i have a FORD 429 engine block casting number is C9VE-B head number is C3VE-A2A anyone know the car it came out of and year it was made? thanks

70snake is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1970 Pro Street Shelby GT500

Your block is 1969 Lincoln or T-bird 429-460. the casting number for the heads does not exist, I believe what you have are c8ve-a2a heads which would be matching heads for your block.
    1970 Shelby
    2006 Mustang GT
    2001 F350 V10 4x4
    1965 A/FX Comet
    and lots of FE junk.

Chudik is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Heads not C3VE-A2A but D3ve-A2A

yes sorry heads are DV3E-A2A so that means its a standard 429 not a cj or scj right? thanks for the reply guys

oops D3VE-A2A

Yep, standard 429-460 heads.
    1970 Shelby
    2006 Mustang GT
    2001 F350 V10 4x4
    1965 A/FX Comet
    and lots of FE junk.

what sort of power should i get from it all standard (performer 460 intake and 750 carb)?

Well, 429-460's aren't really my fort'e but the last one I did was for an offroad truck: 1973 460, .030 over, mild cam, fresh valve job, dual exhaust(factory manifolds), performer intake and edelbrock 750 carb, MSD ign. and wires. It made 366 hp, but 522 ft. lbs. of torque, more than enough to turn 40" tires
    1970 Shelby
    2006 Mustang GT
    2001 F350 V10 4x4
    1965 A/FX Comet
    and lots of FE junk.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

(Edit: I mixed up posts/threads with another 429 thread...)

The D3VE head threw me off. As noted above, the motor is 1969 429, but the 1969 heads have been swapped out for the D3VE heads.

If the shortblock has never been apart, then you would have flat-top pistons. The 1969 429 with oem flat top pistons and the D3VE heads should net you about 8.8:1 compression ratio.

This 1969 short block should have the healthiest of cams that ever came in a standard passenger car 429 (less CJ/SCJ) and the timing chain is straight up/NOT retarded.

That being said, this engine is over thirty years old and it's anybody's guess what parts it is built with today.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 10-31-2005 at 08:09 PM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

so should i get 460 cam and pistons?its a rebuild project, engine stripped would like to get 400 hp or more but not brake the bank thanks for the help guys

Cool

Mike, first of all: I edited my post above so be sure to re-read it...

In reply to your last post: 460 pistons will not work by themselves in a 429.

The only main difference between the 429 and the 460 is the crankshaft (stroke) and the pistons (wrist pin location). Block, heads, intake manifold, cams, timing cover, etc. are the same and are interchangable. Even the rods are the same. But you cannot put 460 pistons into a 429, as they will be about .100" in the hole at TDC. (You will have to also use the 460 crank in order to run the 460 pistons, and then you'd have a 460.)

Over the years, the 429 and 460 cams are the same camshaft, assuming the 429 and 460 being compared are the same year engines. But the grinds do change over the years.

While you can get 400HP from a 429 with D3VE heads, it would be easier with the heads that originally came with the engine. the a 400Hp 429 would be a breeze. you could also throw in a 460 crank and pistons, then 400HP with a 460 & d3VE heads would be a breeze.

The D3VE heads can be made to work and work well, but they require more mods than the earlier castings.

If you cannot "break the bank," then you might want to switch over to some early-style castings that have been lightly performance prepped and also get a cam. By increasing compression (with the early heads) you are well ahead of the game for the power you want. That or you can spend the same amount of money on the D3VE heads but still have low compression...D3VE's are just not right for a prfrormance 429, in my opinion.

What is the application of the motor? Street driven? What kind of vehicle? Must it run on pump gas?.etc.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

What is the break point of the 429 C9VE-B – HP 500 -800 or a 1000HP
    The 302 is good up to 400 HP what about this one ?

Cool

The weak link in the rotating assembly is the rods, then the cast pistons. Over 550-600Hp, you had better already have aftermarket rods and forged pistons.

The valve train will also need to be addressed with better rockers, springs, pushrods, etc.

For the most part, the rest of the components can handle much more power. (Block, heads, crank, etc). Due to the journal overlap of the 429 crank, it is unbelievably strong and, properly prepped, can handle damn near 1000HP or more. Or course, if your building that kind of HP then you can probably afford better components.

How much HP a 429 can handle is very dependent on the build and componentrs used.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

What about the block hem self, at what point will it split

Cool

There are so many variables. Poor tune will kill a motor.

Two drag racers can each build an engine using identical components; one team may run the motor over and over again and the other team may blow the motor in the first pass.

The amount of HP, the stroke of the crank, the rpm's that the block is subjected will all factor into HP handling capability. I am aware of a truck puller that uses stock 4-bolt block and cast passenger car crank and turns his motor 9500 rpm. Also, in the link below, that car did a 7.14 in the quarter mile with stock passenger car heads, block and crank. Even had the stock head bolts and stock main cap bolts. It was runing blown nitro and HP was estimated at 1800HP.

Now, I am not suggesting that anyone can make the stock parts work this way. As far as that goes, the general consensus among the masses these days seems to be that a stock 460 2-bolt block can handle 600+HP as is before seeing cap walk, maybe 700HP with main studs, then maybe 800HP with a halo girdle, and finally about 1000HP with a well executed 4-bolt conversion kit.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast