Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 71 or 72 460

Reply To Thread
    davidmitchem197 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1971 and 1969 mach 1 mustang

71 or 72 460

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much horse power and torqe that a 1971 or 72 460 engine would have in it came out of a 71 or 72 lincolne continetal I can't remember the exact year but it was one of them two, me and my dad are putting it in a 1956 ford truck f100.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

1971 to 1972 was a transitional year for t he 429/460 and HP drops significantly.

In order to better know what you have, you need to look at some casting numbers located on the cylinder heads. Cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the heads, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd & 4th exhaust ports.
    • If your pair of cylinder heads casting numbers are "D0VE-A," "D0VE-C," or "D1VE-AA," then your compression ratio is over 10.5:1 and you have about 325 actual horsepower in good tune. Good quality pump gas required.
    • If your cylinder heads have the casting number "D2VE-AA," then it would be wise to begin looking for a new pair of cylinder heads, as those heads are single year (1972) castings and are awful in a perfomance application (detonation prone).
    • "D3VE-A2A" heads are from the 1973-up carbureted engines and your actual HP will somewhere around or below 300HP if optimally tuned. Regular gas no problem.

Paul

davidmitchem197 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1971 and 1969 mach 1 mustang

Thanks for the information paul I will have to look at the heads to know exactly what I got I guess if it is a 71 it would of been a hotrod lincoln with 325 horsepower lol.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

1972-up also had cam timing changes, and the cam grind is a little different too.

Paul

Reply To Thread