Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 with cj heads

Reply To Thread
    tuckpointer74 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1959 ford f-100

460 with cj heads

hello all
    i am new to this site so bear with me.
    i am thinking of putting 429 cj heads on my 460 that is going to go in a 59 ford f-100. i am wanting to get a nice sound cam wise.
    also have about 450 to 500 horse. i am used to small blocks, this is my first FBB. the 460 is a d3v block. any info would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    jim

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

If this truck is a street driven daily driver, then you will be much better off with C8VE, C9VE or D0VE heads. The D0OE-R casting you want to use will be a mismatch in such an application and you will not reap their benefits unless you run the CJ-headed 460 at 5500-8500 rpm.

The ports are so huge in the SCJ heads that the intake port velocity is lazy as hell when they're mounted to a 429 or 460 that is run at normal operating rpm's. Conversely, the alternate heads I mentioned above (when set up properly) will offer far better throttle response, better low & midrange torque and also give the CJ heads a run for their money from 3000-6000 rpm. These are truly a better overall cylinder head for a 500HP street driven 460.

If you are building a 521 stroker motor or a super high rpm 460 screamer, then the above info would not apply and the CJ heads would be a better choice.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 12-19-2005 at 11:12 PM.

import600 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

what kind of setup are you talking about for the D0ve heads? I've got a 429 with these heads. are the D0VE, cj heads? With my engine i'm not sure what i need to go the route i want. I want a throaty sound, a nice throttle response, and great pickup. what are your suggestions?

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Originally posted by import600
    what kind of setup are you talking about for the D0ve heads? I've got a 429 with these heads. are the D0VE, cj heads? With my engine i'm not sure what i need to go the route i want. I want a throaty sound, a nice throttle response, and great pickup. what are your suggestions?
    The D0VE heads are not CJ heads. The CJ head number is D0OE-R.

Setting up D0VE heads to rival the CJ in a 429/460 application means portwork on the intake and exhaust, oversize 2.19" intake & 1.72 exhaust valves and a good valve job. When you consider that you will be building a perfomance 429 with new parts and machining anyway, this work is not unreasonable and actually very beneficial to your build.

In regards to your last quesiton, properly setting up your motor for what you desire will require a lot of questions and answers. I'll send you my contact info; I'll be happy to answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

Paul

d69stangman3 is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Cool I have a 460 bb ford shortblock needs rebuilt and a set of dove heads for sale

looking to sell don't have time or money to build engine right now.

Reply To Thread