Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 crank in a 429 CJ

Reply To Thread
    64 in progress is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 galaxie

460 crank in a 429 CJ

Is it possible to install a 1973 460 crank from a Lincoln into a 1970 429 CJ, and if so what kind of performance will I get. Or is it just a wast of time and money. Thanks in advance

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

IMO the 428 CJ's are a good motor to make some horsepower with. The shorter stroke of the 429 makes it a quicker revving motor, the 460 builds more torque. Whether or not is is worth the extra bucks is your decision. There are stroker kits available in many sizes for the 429 / 460 engines, so you can actually go as large on cubes as your pocket book can afford. JMO
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool Re: 460 crank in a 429 CJ

Originally posted by 64 in progress
    Is it possible to install a 1973 460 crank from a Lincoln into a 1970 429 CJ, and if so what kind of performance will I get. Or is it just a wast of time and money?
    Yes, it is possible to put a 460 crank into a 429 Cobra Jet engine. All that is needed is 460 crankshaft and 460 pistons.

I think it's a great move to do this, as the HUGE intake ports of the D0OE-R head castings of the 429 CJ are a major mismatch for the 429 displacement and the 3.59 stroke of the 429 crank, unless you opereate this engine at 7500 rpm.

Installing the 460 crank & pistons will improve low end torque and the overall usable power range/output of the engine. Frankly, the CJ heads are designed in such a way that they really don't wake up these engines until about 500 cubic inches.

Stroker kits are typically $1000 give or take, and a stock crank and pistons aren't near that. If you can stroke your motor for another 31 cubes (429 to 460) for a few hundred bucks, then I say go for it. The increased usable power output will be very noticable.

Paul

64 in progress is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 galaxie

Thanks for the info. So I can actually put these heads on a 460 and it would be the same thing? Someone is giving me a 460 out of a 1973 Lincoln. Is that a suitable donor for these heads. If I can swap these heads onto this motor that would be easier than swapping the crank and pistons right? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

So I can actually put these heads on a 460 and it would be the same thing? Someone is giving me a 460 out of a 1973 Lincoln. Is that a suitable donor for these heads. If I can swap these heads onto this motor that would be easier than swapping the crank and pistons right?
    They will bolt to the 1973 460, but this does not make that engine a "460CJ" (so to speak). The 1970 429CJ had slightly different internal spec's than a 1973 460, but yes the heads and complete valve train from the 429CJ may be transferred to the 460 shortblock.

The 1970 429CJ has a different intake manufold, different cam profile, flat-top pistons, and (although not a big deal performance wise) slightly different rods which are not any stronger than stock rods.

The 1973 460 has 22cc dished pistons and a milder camshaftand different intake manifold.

The 1973 460 has about 7.9:1 compression ratio and th 1970 429CJ has about 10.7:1 compression ratio. If you bolt the CJ heads to the 1973 460, you will have about 9.4:1 compression ratio. In this particular case, it is mandatory that the entire valve train for the CJ heads be transferred along with the heads themselves.

Paul

TedIII is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 67cougar 70caddy deville 06 HD RKC

Re: 460 crank in a 429 CJ

Is it possible to install a 1973 460 crank from a Lincoln into a 1970 429 CJ, and if so what kind of performance will I get. Or is it just a wast of time and money. Thanks in advance
    Yes you can I done it! My engine is built for raceing, never crank her up yet. still building the car. But I use a 74 LTD 460 Crank and put it in a 70 429. With new rods, pistons,ect, also using different heads by blue thunder, but again I plan on racing. Now if you look at that block close you will see the numbers 460 stamp on it. Its true the 1970 429 and the 460 use the same block just different internals.
    http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/tzamk2/

67 cougar burn rubber not your soul!

Ives Bradley is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 49 Ford tudor

9.5 comp is plenty for the street. I think I will dig into some of my 385 stuff, this could be fun. thanks Paul
    Choose your battles well===If it dont go chrome it

Reply To Thread