Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: pushrods1968 thunderjet

Reply To Thread
    baggettjd is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1973 Mustang Mach 1

pushrods1968 thunderjet

I'm looking for the size (diameter and length) of a normal stock pushrod for my 1968 429 Thunderjet. I want to order some extra strong (possibly performance) pushrods, and would like to know what size and where to get them. I have a rebuilt engine with a Edelbrock cam Duration at 290/300, Lift .556/.581, my heads are 8CVE and I would also like to know of a good roller rocker setup. Any advice will be welcome.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Stock pushrod dimensions for a 1968 429 Thunderjet with C8VE-A heads and C8VE-B block is 5/16" diameter x 8.550" long.

If you go to roller rockers, the pushods required is somewhat dictated by the brand of rocker you choose. Different brand rockers often enough require different length pushrods to get the proper geometry. You will also need pushrod guideplates if you change over to roller rockers.

Crane Cams makes some good rockers, particulary their Gold Series. These are the same as the blue anodized Ford racing rockers (both are made by Crane). There are lots of good rockers out there and there are cheap (in quality) rockers, too. Do your homework before you buy. Also, standard rocker arm ratio for the 385 series Ford is 1.73. The big block chebbys use a 1.7 rocker arm ratio and a lot of prople use chebby rocker arms on their Fords.

Can't really make a firm recommendation without knowing the overall application, build spec's and budget.

Pushrods and rockers of all types and dimensions may be found on the Summit Racing website and also the Comp Cams website.

Paul

baggettjd is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1973 Mustang Mach 1

Paul, you seem to be so knowledable about these 429 ford engines, (I've read several of your answers to questions). I will go further into detail about my engine. It is a 1968 Thunderjet 429 and it was bored .030 (thirty thousands) and new forged aluminum pistens with a compression ratio of 11.39:1, speed pro brand kit was bought from Summit Racing. A new Edelbrock Performer-Link True Rolling Timing Chain Set, Edelbrock Sure Seat Valve Springs-RPM/Torker, Single, 1.460 in. O.D., Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kit. Adverised Duration 290/300, Lift .556/.581. I have a Edelbrock aluminum Intake, and a new Elelbrock 750 carb. I plan on putting roller rockers on my 8CVE heads. The studs are missing on my heads. Can I buy a complete roller rocker set-up with studs, and or bolts included? I'm not rich, by any means, but I also don't want to sacrifice quality on this motor. What is your opinion on the horsepower I will have. I am putting this motor in my 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I have a c-6 transmission out of a 1983 Ford F-350 that had a 460 engine in it. (Someone told me that this c-6 should be good, because it was probably heavy duty being in a 1 ton truck). I currently have a 2:79 rear end, but I bought a 3:50 posi-trac rear end that I plan on installing. Your opinion on this issue. Should my Stang really scat down the road? It is a beautiful car, Canary yellow, true ram-air. It just needs to run as good as it looks. Thanks for your help. Your advice is valuable. John.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

You can get yourself some oem replacement rocker studs for that build at most auto parts stores (might be special order) or get some ARP brand rocker studs. Lengths of the studs themselves can vary, and depending on which rockers you ultimately choose may dictate which length studs you need.

Rocker arm kits usualy come with polylocks to lock down the lash adjustment. Guide-plates are typically sold seperately.

Can't really estimate HP, but certainly 400HP. Lots more HP is possible with that group of components you have, but head porting (particularly the exhaust ports), bigger carb and other key ingredients would be necessary (all of which might push you in the high 400's). Pump gas premium will be mandatory with 11.4:1 c/r, and blending some race gas will likely be necessary.

I know little about the transmissions, but beware that Ford offered the C6 with two differnet crank pilot diameters in the converters, which must corresponed with one of two different crankshaft pilot hole diameters. Be sure you have the correct converter pilot dia to be received by your crankshaft.

Your combo in that relatively light car with a 3.50 rear axle ratio will be a lot of fun on the street.

Paul

Reply To Thread