Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 1972 429 timing chain

Reply To Thread
    moldawg is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1970 mustang fastback

1972 429 timing chain

I have a 1972 429 with D3ve-a2a heads and I am trying to increase its performance. I have read on this forum that if I install a timing chain and sproket from a 68-71 429 that it will really help my engine's performance. On ebay I have seen new performance timing chains and sprokets. What I am wondering is, which would be better, an original timing setup from 68-71, or a new setup? Any info would be great.

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

dawg, the problem with the post-71 timing sets is that Ford indexed the crank gear retarded by up to 8* to comply with emissions requirements at the time.

I don't know what you're looking at on ebay so I don't know the manufacturer, the quality, if the crank gear is indexed advanced, retarded or straight up or whether it was manufactured offshore of inferior materials. What I do know is that if you pony up $100 for this Cloyes timing set from Summit, you'll get quality parts that will do the job properly for a long, long time. Part # CLO-9-3122
    Product Line: Cloyes Original True Roller Timing Sets
    Timing Chain Style: Double roller
    Maximum Advance/Retard at Camshaft: 2 degree
    Maximum Advance/Retard at Crankshaft: 4 degree
    Cam Sprocket Material: Iron
    Crank Sprocket Material: Billet steel
    Quantity: Sold as a set.
    Notes: With factory top dead center timing.

Timing Chain, Original True Roller, Steel/Iron Sprockets, Ford Big Block 385 Series, Set

Check to make sure this part fits your application
    True rollerized timing from Cloyes.
    Cloyes Original True Roller timing sets feature full roller-action Renold double-row roller chains, made from high-strength steel for superior durability. The cam sprockets are made from heat-treated cast or ductile iron, while the crank sprockets are machined from heat-treated, high-carbon steel for strength. With three keyways for adjustability (4 degrees advanced, 4 degrees retarded, and normal), each set is hand-matched to ensure precise chain tension.

If you are retaining the stock cam, install the crank gear 4* advanced. If you are using an aftermarket cam, they're usually advanced 4* by the grinder when he makes the cam, so install the crank gear straight up.

www.summitracing.com
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool Re: 1972 429 timing chain

Originally posted by moldawg
    ...which would be better: an original timing setup from 68-71, or a new setup?
    Just want to add that the OEM set will not be a roller chain and gears, and will stretch in no time flat, etc.

Get an aftermarket double-roller timing set. The one posted above will suit your 1972 429 just fine.

Paul

p.s. If you insist on using oem parts for the sake of brand loyalty, then get a 1990-up oem 460 timing chain. It is a single roller and the timing set is keyed straight up (not retarding the cam). Recommendation of this timing set assumes stock application and not high performance application motor.
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-21-2005 at 08:35 PM.

This is great information! Thanks so much. I think I'll go with the Cloyes set up.

What about the clo-9-3522x9? I also found this one at summit. The only difference I can see is that the cam sprocket is made out of billet steel instead of Iron. Which do you recommend, and what are the pro's and con's of either billet or iron?

Thanks.

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Click on the description of both part numbers. You'll see that the set I recommended features a full roller action Renold roller chain where the barrels of the chain roll on pins. There is no better chain available.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Sounds good! Thanks a bunch!

Reply To Thread