Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 Cobra Jet. Internal or external balance??

Reply To Thread
    64 in progress is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 galaxie

429 Cobra Jet. Internal or external balance??

How can I tell if a 429 Cobra Jet out of a 1970 Torino is internally or externally balanced? Please help. I'm trying to get it ready to install in my 64 Galaxie. Any other info on this swap would help. Thanks in advance.
    Steven

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Here's a blurb from one of the aftermarket damper manufacturers

Big Block 429-460 Ford - This damper utilizes a separate counterweight that is a spacer that goes over the crank and behind the damper. These weights are available from your Ford dealer (#M-6359-D460) and must be used unless the engine assembly has been converted to an internally balanced engine by incorporating heavy metal in the crankshaft.

I can't remember that my 429 had this spacer/counterweight, so maybe the weight was part of the damper like it is on a 400 smalll block Chevy. It has been too long and I'm too old.

Feel around behind the damper and see if you can feel an eccentric offset weight as part of the damper assembly or a separate offset spacer weight as described above. If you determine that the thickness of the damper is the same all the way around and can feel no offset weight, then the motor is internally balanced. Another area to check is the flexplate. I know Chevy also used a weight welded to the plate, but I'm not sure if Ford did or not.
    Last edited by techinspector1; 05-25-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

chappy_692000 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 f250 hi boy

all 429, 460 engines were internally balanced up until '79 so you should be internal hope this is what you are looking for
    even a good thing can be made better
    never get angery because you lost be grateful you were able to try

64 in progress is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 galaxie

Thanks for the info guys. I'm building my first hot rod so any info helps. I love this place, great people with great info. I hope someday i can help someone on here from the info I gather from everyone. I'll be posting quite a bit, so any info helps. Again, thank you very much.
    Steven

Reply To Thread