Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Want to starrt ordering parts, Need some help here!!

Reply To Thread
    ceejays is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 95 f 250 7.5 ; 4x4

Want to starrt ordering parts, Need some help here!!

O k guys.

Thanks for all the help in other areas with my questions.

I am hoping to build a little stronger than stock motor which should produce about 500ish or so hp when dynoed. This is the goal.
    I do want to use pump gas. I am not looking for an all out race motor, but a good, strong, dependable motor that will produce decent numbers.

I would like to use my stock heads but this may not be possible. I am starting with stock heads from my '95 7.5 litre (460) motor.

Questions:

1) Can I use my stock heads for this? If not, what heads would be best for this?
    What info is needed to answer this question? I know nothing about them other than they are stock for this truck.

2) I am assuming I need a new cam. What cam would be good for this application? i.e. What lift and duration would be good to look at?

3) Assuming I am using this cam from question # 2 what valves, springs, rockers, seals pushrods..... etc. would be the best for this application? Should I go with roller rockers?

4) After making these changes do I need to change my stock intake, or will it flow enough air for the above cam and head setup?

With this motor, I am a newbie. I am not sure what to do or where to go in this project.
    Any and all technical help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    I am sort of on a budget. I don't want to spend more than $ 1500 to $ 2000 on the total project. Less is good very good. Gives me more money for race improvements on my other car..

I am doing a complete rebuild. I am not opposed to boring out the cylinders or porting the heads if I need to.
    MY thoughts on this ( as in everything I do) I want the highest quality for the best price I can get. I am not opposed to spending more for good quality parts if they are needed, but i don't want to willy nilly spend money and end up with 10K in a motor for a work, farm, daily driver.

If you answer, I will check everything out before I order and will probably ask you more questions until I fully understand what I am doing and why!!!

Thanks in advance, for helping me and putting up with what may be some very stupid questions, but I want to do a good job on this and I really do need help to understand what I am doing.

Thanks

Charlie

chappy_692000 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 f250 hi boy

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220 is the best place under the sun for the answers you are looking for. if i'm thinking right the block isn't the best choice for what you are doing but will work. reason being the longer cylinder walls restrict the length crank you can use. the fuely intake i couldn't tell ya about. the heads the best choice for heads if you are looking at stock heads would be the dove c heads next in line would be the d3ve. either will need exhaust port reworked. the doves will need about 15cc dish piston the d3ve heads on the other hand will run flattops. be forwarned that if you go to the network make use of the search function b4 posting these guys get grumpy when the same questions get repetitive as for heads get with scott johnston he is the ford head king. along with charlie and lem are very good. trust these guys input they are some of the best.check them out you won't be sorry
    even a good thing can be made better
    never get angery because you lost be grateful you were able to try

Reply To Thread