Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 thunderjet build up 450hp...stock rods?

Reply To Thread
    Vinstang is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 71mach-93 cobra

429 thunderjet build up 450hp...stock rods?

Ive starting ordering the parts for my 429 street motor. I have Speedpro forged pistons, my crank has been gas nitrided and polished now im left with a dilemma....the stock rods are forged (c8ve) would it be a risk to use these rods with arp bolts in my engine buildup? can these rods handle the 450 hp im expecting to get out of this engine?
    if anyone have expeirence with the power these stock rods can take i would appreciate the info
    thanks
    Vince

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Re: 429 thunderjet build up 450hp...stock rods?

Originally posted by Vinstang
    Ive starting ordering the parts for my 429 street motor. I have Speedpro forged pistons, my crank has been gas nitrided and polished now im left with a dilemma....the stock rods are forged (c8ve) would it be a risk to use these rods with arp bolts in my engine buildup? can these rods handle the 450 hp im expecting to get out of this engine?
    if anyone have expeirence with the power these stock rods can take i would appreciate the info
    thanks
    Vince
    Properly reconditioned stock rods with ARP bolts added can handle well over 450HP. 550HP is possible and others have put them to even greater tests. Several things come into play here when factoring the strength of the stock rod, including piston weight, rpm usage, etc. Typically, the TRW pistons are heavy, but 450HP @ 5500 rpm shouldn't be any problem in a street/strip car.

Just get a quote for the rod reconditioning and ARP bolts, and then compare to the Eagle I-beam rods. Eagle offers production spec I-Beam rods that are brand new with ARP bolts for arond $300, and they are notabley stronger than the oem rod.

Paul

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

I found it cheaper to buy new rods than have the rods reconditioned. I built a 70 tbird 429 and put in in my 75 1/2 ton truck. It was cheaper to buy the new ford truck rods which are suppose to be stronger. They were around $225. It was going to cost my more here to recondition my stock rods.

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

I know the stock rods will handle a lot, but with CNC machines the good rods are getting cheaper and cheaper. Like Eagle I beam rods, which my brother bought for his 302 blower motor.

Reply To Thread