Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460-429 info

Reply To Thread
    fordguy1661 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1968 torino

Exclamation 460-429 info

I am seeking some info. I have a 1989 460 with fuel injection, and was wondering if I could put 1972 429 heads on it, and work with the injection. I have been told that the problem with the 89 460 is the heads. Also would I have to use the 429 manifolds?

BOBCRMAN@aol. is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: various 1924-91

If you use the early heads, you will Have to use the early intake manifold. The intake bolt pattern was changed on The fuel injection heads. The exhaust man. I think, would still work

Also the 72 heads will not last long on unlead gas.
    Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.; 02-13-2005 at 03:18 PM.

fordguy1661 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1968 torino

Thanks for the response. If the heads were rebuilt they would be ok ?

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting surface and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. I suspect the heads on your 1989 460 are E7TE castings. Please confirm.

Also, please look at the casting numbers on your 1972 heads (same location). If they are D2VE-AA, then they are poor in design and should not be used. 1972 model year heads are not considered to be a performance head in the iron BBF head world. They are detonation prone in most any case where compression ratio is increased over that of a stock 1972/1989 engine. (That being said, the 1972 D2VE-AA head will not increase compression over your current E7TE heads.) Check and see if your early heads have another casting number, such as D3VE-A2A (1973-82) or D1VE-AA or D0VE-C (1970-71).

Depending on the application of your engine, the E7TE heads may very well be the way to go if you intend to keep your fuel injection setup. "Smogger" heads they may be, but they arrived at a time when most emission controls were beginning to be handled electronically, and these heads can be made to flow well for the street. In fact, they can be massaged to flow almost as well as the early passenger car heads.

What is the application? how much pwer are you hoping to get?

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 02-13-2005 at 06:08 PM.

tbird is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 ford tbird

Greetings - I'm new at this, I have a 429 engine with D3VE A1B intake manifold and Heads-C8VE-E, Block-D1VE-A2B, Stamped VIN # On Block is 3Z512593 I haven't been able to de-code, could any body help? Thanks

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Your C8VE heads are great heads. they are from the 1968 model year and can make some great horsepower with a little portwork.

The D1VE block is from 1971-1978 model years and is a fine block. The C8VE heads that are bolted to that block did not come from the factory in that combo. but it is a nice block and heads.

Paul

Reply To Thread