Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 1975 460 rebuild

Reply To Thread
    Powerluvr is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

1975 460 rebuild

I recently purchased a 460 out of a 1975 ford truck. I want to rebuild it with some decent streetable hp. My plans include port and polish, edelbrock performer cam, performer intake, headers, 850 cfm carb and abuot 8.5 to 1 compression. This is my first big block rebuild. Does it sound ok? What kind of power can I expect? Also will I have cooling problems with my factory rad ( 1980 t-bird )? If so who makes a rad that will fit that car for better cooling?

69mach is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 mach 1 351w, 87' gt

the 460 is a beast, so however you build it your gona have tons of power

im about to start my first 460 project too, im shooting for higher compression though, ive got about 500 horses in mind

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Chances are that your 1975 Ford 460 has D3VE heads on it. The casting number on the heads is on the outside of the head, and between the top of the thrid and fourth exhaust ports. Should be D3VE-A2A.

If you have these heads, then I would suggest putting in flat-top pistons. The engine (assuming oem) has dished pitons in it and your current compression ratio is in the neighborhood of 8:1. Flat top pistons will bring you just over 9:1 and you may still run pump gas. This compression ratio will work well with your ported heads and other associated components mentioned in your post.

Paul

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

I just finished a 429 build from a 70 tbird and put it in my 75 f100 4X4. It was bored .030 and the crank turned .010. I put the cast dish fedural modul pistons part # 413 NP and edelbrock aluminum heads part # 6066, 95 CC. With aluminum water pump. Holley fuel pump. New rods from Ford motorsports. Harmonic bamper from CNC motorsports, Flywheel from scant. Compression ratio is about 8.5 to 1 per the mathmatics I figured. So I could run the cheaper gas. I also had it balanced at the machine shop and put everthing together in my garage. It runs pretty good. I have raced some new Chevy pickups and other vehicles and its beat everything so far. I have about 2000 miles on it and so far the only problems I have is a broken ARP polylok on the rocker arm. Also the C6 tranny is shifting too soon, so I usually shift manually, although a shift kit is in the works.

69mach is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 mach 1 351w, 87' gt

yeah ive got the d3ve heads, i was hopeing for the dove heads when i got it and i thought they were when i first looked but they arent to much different from what i have seen

i dont have money for fancy aftermarket heads so ill be porting what i got,

im gona get it bored .030 over so ill be buying some pistons so i can pick and choose my compression whats the highest compression i could run with that setup and stay on pump gas

chappy_692000 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 f250 hi boy

to add to paul's reply i do believe it is very desirable to zero deck your block and run a .040 compressed head gaskek this will set your quench and help fight detonation. this all comes from another forum paul and i frequent.
    even a good thing can be made better
    never get angery because you lost be grateful you were able to try

Reply To Thread