Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 heads

Reply To Thread
    72 linc is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

460 heads

i have a friend with a 70 linc. he got it cheap and is going to resell it so he dont care what happens to it as long as it runs and is sellable.i have a 72 linc 460(stock) i would like to get the heads off the 70.(if im right these are the good factory ones right?)my friend dont care if i take the heads as long as i replace them and it runs. would it be worth it to do a head swap with my 72, or just pick up some later model heads from the junk yard and do a swap with my friends 70. thanks guys.

viking is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 23 T, 53 FLH , 66 C-10 454, 03 CVPI

How bout just swapping motors ?
    Objects in the mirror are losing

dr_bowtie is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1957 chevy Belair

I might agree with Viking, but you'll have to do some checking as far as the condition of both motors...This would be, by far, the fastest and least expensive....

The 72 heads should still be a decent head depending on the date code...

If you insist on swapping just the heads I may lean towards a later pair from a junk yard "if" you could locate them

If you are able to pull a set of heads make sure to get all parts...bolts, rockers, retainers and push rods and so on....

thanks guys. my engine is pretty tight with low miles, so i really didnt want to do a whole engine swap at this time, but over time i wanted to bump the HP and i thought i heard some were that the d0ve were the good ones to have. how much HP could i exspect from just doing top end work.(heads intake carb ignition ect.)and if im only going that far will i get good results from any 460 head. id prefer to use other heads because i could have the valves done ect. and just swap instead of taking mine off , taking them to the machine shop and wait while my car is torn apart. thanks again guys for the quick responce.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

It is a very high possibility that your 1972 heads are crap as techinspector1 has stated.

The 1972 model year was the only year that had a truly non-performance cylinder head. It was so bad in fact, that Ford ditched it themselves after just one production year.

To determine if you have these heads, take a look on the outside of the heads, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. The casting number that identifies the lousy cylinder head is D2VE-AA. If it reads anything else let us know.

If you want pair of D0VE heads, I have them for sale...bare, cleaned & blasted, or competely rebuilt and assembled as oem stock, or ported and with valve upgrades. Price varies; some people would rather do the grunt work and swap heads between two motors. Others would rather buy some ready-to-go heads and just swap out their own. Up to you.
    • Cleaned & blasted bare castings: $250
    • Rebuilt with stock valve train and valve job, new keepers and seals: $400
    • Cleaned, blasted and bare ported castings: $800
    • Cleaned, blasted, ported castings with big valves, 3-angle valve grind & springs: $1200
    • (all prices shipping not included)

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 01-31-2005 at 11:14 PM.

so would these heads be just a swap? i dont want to get it to the bottom end to change to dish pistons. i know the cobustion chambers are smaller on the older ones ,but i think i only have like 8 or 8.5 to 1 compression right now. would the older heads rise my compression to high? thanks agian guys.

thanks again tech. so i should expect a pretty good bump in hp from the 225 i have just by switching stock heads right? i will probably have heads gone over before i put them on, butt pretty much stock valves and no porting. i aready have an electronic ing. for it, and depending on money, as long as i have the intake and heads off, maybe a mild edelbrock cam,carb,and intake combo.with just doing that easy stuff do you have a ball park for hp? just curious, and it sounds like you would know. thanks again to everybody.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

If you have a bone stock 1972 460 with 8:1 compression ratio, then putting on the early-style heads will give you about 9.2:1 compression ratio.

You need to see which casting number is on your heads. IF you have the D2VE-AA heads, then the valve train assembly is different than the early heads from the 1970 car. Assuming you have D2VE-AA's and will swap to D0VE-C's, then you will need to swap over the heads, the pushrods and the rockers. The valve train components must stay with their respective heads because they are not interchangable between each other.

The horsepower rating system changed from brake horsepower (BHP) to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in 1972. Your engine will have perhaps 300BHP with the head swap and good tune...somewhat more with cam and carb, etc.

Paul

Reply To Thread