Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

  •  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rspears

Thread: crate 350/290 hp engine head swap and a few questions on cam timing
          
   
   

Reply To Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    slowpoke1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    jeff
    Posts
    4

    crate 350/290 hp engine head swap and a few questions on cam timing

     



    I have a 71 c-10 with 373 gears and turbo 400 trans with a 350/290 hp engine with headers and performer intake and q-jet with upgrade and jets by cliffs high performance, anyway I was not pleased with the engines low rpm power it was a dog on low end, I bought a new set of brodix IK 180 heads and some 1.6 full roller rockers and installed them. It really woke the engine up in midrange and top end and helped a little bit on low end. I was wondering if advancing my cam timing may help the low end some it has plenty on top end if I have to sacrifice some there it would be fine.
    the engine has the cam that came in the engine it is a 450 intake and 460 exh lift and the original heads had 76 cc chambers and the new ones have 64 cc. I am going to get a 2400 rpm hughes converter for it soon it is running stock now.
    do you guys think advancing my cam timing will help my low end some?

  2. #2
    beaker60's Avatar
    beaker60 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calhoun
    Car Year, Make, Model: 2000 Chevy S-10
    Posts
    8

    Where have you got it set now,,what kind of dizzie are you running?Keep in mind,,that a lot of those crate engines cams,,give you very little leeway past zero on advance.I tried advancing a crate that I had gotton from GM,,and if I remember right,,I could only go as far as 2*BTDC,,send me,,or post,,if you have them,,,all of the cam specs.You're obviously going in the right direction with your tune,,but like you asked,,YES,,advancing will help,,but it will depend on what you have already,,OH,,,and what kind of distributor are you running.

  3. #3
    frkl is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fallon
    Posts
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke1 View Post
    I have a 71 c-10 with 373 gears and turbo 400 trans with a 350/290 hp engine with headers and performer intake and q-jet with upgrade and jets by cliffs high performance, anyway I was not pleased with the engines low rpm power it was a dog on low end, I bought a new set of brodix IK 180 heads and some 1.6 full roller rockers and installed them. It really woke the engine up in midrange and top end and helped a little bit on low end. I was wondering if advancing my cam timing may help the low end some it has plenty on top end if I have to sacrifice some there it would be fine.
    the engine has the cam that came in the engine it is a 450 intake and 460 exh lift and the original heads had 76 cc chambers and the new ones have 64 cc. I am going to get a 2400 rpm hughes converter for it soon it is running stock now.
    do you guys think advancing my cam timing will help my low end some?
    You might find the power curve right where you want it when you change the converter.Be cautious of piston to valve clearance if you do advance the cam.A crossover pipe in the exhaust could also help low end torque.

  4. #4
    slowpoke1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    jeff
    Posts
    4

    the cam specs are cut and pasted from the manual for the engine i have
    The 350/290 HP engine uses an aggressive flat tappet camshaft to achieve the level of performance for its intended
    usage. Camshaft lift is .450” intake / .460” exhaust. Camshaft duration (@.050”) is 222 degrees intake and
    exhaust. Lobe centerline is 114 degrees. Normal engine manifold vacuum for the 350/290 HP engine is 10-12”
    Hg at idle (650-750 rpm).
    the dist is a GM performance parts HEI and my timing now is 11 deg at idle with vacum disconnected, and i think the total is around 32,
    thanks for the reply I appreciate any help, I will get the converter soon the heads were a little expensive so i will have to wait a little for the converter.
    the manual says to leave vacum advance disconnected but i have tried that and with it on both vacum ports on the carb and the full vacum port seems to have better low end results which makes me think more ign advance may help a little??
    Last edited by slowpoke1; 04-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.

  5. #5
    slowpoke1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    jeff
    Posts
    4

    I already have a cross over pipe about 1 foot behind the header collectors I forgot to list it in my post. thanks for the advice, I do appreciate the input.

  6. #6
    Smiliesafari is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    37

    Here's a couple of pointers. Be sure the vacuum port on the carb you are connecting to is ported vacuum. If you feel real adventurous remove the timing chain cover and advance the cam timing 4*.

  7. #7
    slowpoke1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    jeff
    Posts
    4

    thanks I may get the offset key to play with until i find what i like then i will get a double roller set up, it is possible i may have to get a cam with more bottom end and midrange instead of mid to top end.

  8. #8
    BOBv is offline CHR Junior sMember Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1

    timing

     



    don't forget the advance curve. The low compression 350 290 needs to rapidly advance the timing and be all in at 3000 rpm. My MSD distributor uses a light weight and a medium advance weight spring. I set the base timing 12-14 BTC 32-34 Total timing.

  9. #9
    NTFDAY's Avatar
    NTFDAY is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Springfield
    Car Year, Make, Model: '66 Mustang, 76 Corvette
    Posts
    4,861

    Quote Originally Posted by BOBv View Post
    don't forget the advance curve. The low compression 350 290 needs to rapidly advance the timing and be all in at 3000 rpm. My MSD distributor uses a light weight and a medium advance weight spring. I set the base timing 12-14 BTC 32-34 Total timing.

    You are posting to a 5 year old thread and I would assume that by now it's either running right or he blew it up.
    Ken Thomas
    NoT FaDe AwaY and the music didn't die
    The simplest road is usually the last one sought
    Wild Willie & AA/FA's The greatest show in drag racing

  10. #10
    rspears's Avatar
    rspears is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe
    Posts
    9,787

    Quote Originally Posted by NTFDAY View Post
    You are posting to a 5 year old thread and I would assume that by now it's either running right or he blew it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBv View Post
    don't forget the advance curve. The low compression 350 290 needs to rapidly advance the timing and be all in at 3000 rpm. My MSD distributor uses a light weight and a medium advance weight spring. I set the base timing 12-14 BTC 32-34 Total timing.
    Hey BOBv,
    Welcome to CHR! I hope that you find things here that make you want to come back and stick around for a while.

    Like Ken says, the thread you added your comment to is from April 2012, and on top of that the guy who was asking dropped off three days later and hasn't ever logged on again. When you see a thread title that looks interesting look at the original posting date under the title, beside the name of the guy/gal posting. Not saying that the info in the thread is low value, but if it's more than a year or two old they likely aren't looking for a response.
    Rrumbler likes this.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

Reply To Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink