Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Hemi Engine Transplant

Reply To Thread
    jobenz is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 33 Plymouth 5 window Coupe

Hemi Engine Transplant

Evening fellow board members......i need some sugestions, help or your opinion. i am presently installing a 392 hemi & 700R4 in my 33 plymouth coupe and need to know the best way to locate the motor mounts in the engine compartment as to how high or low the motor should sit????? maybe someone knows of this swap that was done by someone else and can get me that information.............
    Thanks

drg84 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1996 Aurora Autobahn edition

I diddnt know the 700R4 would bolt up to that engine. Anyway, draw out per scale the existing mounts on a pad. then draw in youre engine. Make sure that you will be able to locate a oil pan that will clear, as well as a set of headers. Then, simply get a set of custom mounts welded. Hope this helps.
    Right engine, Wrong Wheels

Mike P is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 Ply, 68 Ply Valiant, 83 El Camino

As your finding out each swap is unique, and in some cases may involve compromise.

I'm doing a 354 Torque-Flight/37 Dodge PU swap. I wanted to keep the crankshaft centerline close to what the origial drivetrain was, which also would center the cooling fan on the water pump in the radiator.

Problem number 1: The floor on the 37 is flat with no tranny hump, and the TF case is much larger than the old 3 spd. To cure this problem, most of the swaps I've seen on pickups of this era set the engine way too low for my taste. My solution was to remove most of the floor (a previous owner had already butchered the firewall so that will have to be rebuilt anyway). This gave me the clearance for the tranny.

Problem number 2: This engine had been in a 57 Plymouth (long story) and to fit in that car had to use a 57-58 Chrysler oil pan which is the same one your 392 would have come with. These pans are center sump and would not clear the steering rack. 331-354-392 oil pans and pickups interchange and the 56 and older and industrial pans are generally rear sump and not usually as expensive as an aftermarket or custom pan.

With the front end sheet metal off I used a chain hoist (they don't leak down like a cherry picker will) and engine leveler to place the engine and tranny exactly where I wanted it to sit. After measuring height, level, distance to firewall, pan clearance, etc several times and standing back and looking at it several times (to include checking fender clearance by setting them on the truck) I started on the mounts. A real time saver was to build the rear tranny crossmember first to center the rear of the tranny, but not bolt it down so it could be moved a little as I was centering the engine. I bolted the motor mounts to the engine (I'm using a set of mounts from a stationarly industrial Hemi application). Using cardboard I started by making templates from the mount to the crossmember. After I was satisified, I built the mounts and tack welded them in place. With the eninge sitting in place I reameasured everything several more time before I finished welding them in place.

Problem 3: The fenders would not clear the heads which I found out while trial fitting the motor. By triming the fenders a little I got enough clearance to make it work, and by triming the lower edge where the hood side curtains roll under to a 90 degree angle, they can also be used if I choose to.

Problem 4: The Hemi's are WIDE, and to hook up the steering a custom steering column had to be made, along with a steering shaft that is 3 piece with appropriate steering joints and couplers.

Problem 5: the nose of the truck is narrow, so custom brackets are going to be built for the PS, AC and Alt to move them closer to the eninge.

At this point my engine is set in and a cardboard template is made for the firewall and floor. The shop is plugged up with some other projects currently so the PU is currently on hold, but I should get back to it in the next few months.

There's a couple pictures in my gallery that show the engine sitting in the truck if your interested.

Tee Gee is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '28 Ford rpu

I started to think about motor mounts for my '32 ford/331 hemi project and realized that the hemi block mount tabs are at the front of the block. I'm not keen on having the rear mount all the way back at the end of the Powerglide. I hope to exchange the Wilcap adapter plate I bought from them at the L.A. Roadster swap for one with the side tabs so I can put my mounts there.
    This might not be a big concern with a 700R4, but I thought I'd chime in.

rspears is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe, '32 HiBoy Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Gee View Post
    I started to think about motor mounts for my '32 ford/331 hemi project and realized that the hemi block mount tabs are at the front of the block. I'm not keen on having the rear mount all the way back at the end of the Powerglide. I hope to exchange the Wilcap adapter plate I bought from them at the L.A. Roadster swap for one with the side tabs so I can put my mounts there.
    This might not be a big concern with a 700R4, but I thought I'd chime in.
    Glad to have you here, but know that you've "chimed in" to a thread that's from 2004. What's great is that MikeP last posted, and he's still here, active on the forum today!! Not often that happens, for sure.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

Tee Gee is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '28 Ford rpu

Yeah I haven't been active on this site but I was searching for interesting threads and ones that pertain to my current projects. I intended for my post to be both informative to and maybe bring my some input from other members.

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

i know the 392 with a blower is a tight fit in a 29 ford A just let it hang out . no hood tin was going to work . steering was fun
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 07-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by pat mccarthy View Post
    i know the 392 with a blower is a tight fit in a 29 ford A just let it hang as no hood tin was not going to work . steering was fun
    you can work out were the center line of the crank is on the 34 in the photo
    Attached Images
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Reply To Thread