Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: I just bought a '72 Dodge Charger.

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CarFreak is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 72 Dodge Charger, 87 Conquest TSI

I just bought a '72 Dodge Charger.

I Just bought a '72 Dodge Charger. I know it was a gift from God cause there have been a few other cars that had I been there just in time I would have gotten, and therefore would not have bought the Charger. The guy only wanted $600 for it too, which is exactly how much I had! Little too coincidental to me. I'll be the coolest 17 year old to date!

I don't have any pictures of it yet but I can tell you it has no paint, just primer. The primer isn't too bad either, has a little bit of rusting going on but nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. The guy took all of the chrome trimmings off and took off the vinyl top. He wanted to get all of the chrome pieces redone but couldn't find anyone to do it for the price he wanted to pay. The front bumper is in real good condition I may just get a friend to buff it for me.

It has a 318 in it that doesn't run right now for whatever reason. I'm gonna get to work on it asap but if I can't get it fixed for a very reasonable price I'm just gonna save my money and get a HEMI. I don't know anything about the trans-mission...... I'm pretty sure it's an automatic but I want to change it if or when I get a bigger engine. Anyone know what kind of a job I'm looking at there? Don't know much about swapping out the tranny types.

Well guys, give me some feed back please!

chevy 37 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1937 chevy truck& 33 fordtruck

Welcome to CHR. If you have a 318 with a automatic you have a 727 tranny. If you want to go to a larger motor, the 340 or 360 engines will do alot more for you than the 318. I don't know if the 727 will hook up with either engines.
    Keep smiling, it only hurts when you think it does!

Thanks

Thanks for the information. As far as engines though, I'd like to get a hemi for it. I'll probably try to find one used rather than spend a few grand. Think E-Bay or somewhere like that would be a good place to look? Also what tranny would you recommend be used with an engine of that proportion?

I wanna hot rod it but I don't want to pro-mod it, so do you think if I just went with a stock Hemi, 4-barrel carb, and ram air that would do the ticket or should I go ahead and pro-mod it within street law standards?
    John 3:16 ><>

As far as buying a Hemi, yes E-Bay would be a good start, but most engines your going to find are stock with no rebuild which means you'll have to sink some money into it unless you want a stock motor. As far as trannys the 727 will work but your going to have to get another bell housing and probably shorten your driveshaft. If you want to pro street or just hot rod it thats up to you. Either way its alot of fun and alot of work, but the finished product is what its all about.

Mike P is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 Ply, 68 Ply Valiant, 83 El Camino

And Now A Little Dose of Reality

First congratulations on your new project.

If it's a 318 automatic, chances are it has a 904 rather than a 727. These are a good transmission in light duty applications, but not as heavy duty as the 727.

The 318 is what is called an LA engine (small block)and shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 340 and 360 engines.

The 426 HEMIs are based on the B/RB (big block) motors and require a different transmission as both 904 and 727 have an intergral belhousing/case design.

Check on E Bay and other places on the net and I think you going to find that a HEMI in any codition is WAY WAY out of your budget.

Personally, I think I would get the engine in it running if you can and see what kind of shape it's in. From there you can figure out what way to go. A cheap swap for these cars has always been a 383/400/440. Donner cars can often be purchased for next to nothing and will go a long way in turning the car into a hot rod.

Matt167 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '51 Chevy Fleetline and a Ratrod project

go with a 440, belive it or not it makes more Hp, and is a little more streetable than a HEMI but, HEMI's are a good motor and are very expensive ( even used ), your best bet is to get the 440 and, drop a 6 pack on it.

6 pack= 3 2bbl carbs
    You don't know what you've got til it's gone

Matt's 1951 Chevy Fleetline- Driver

1967 Ford Falcon- Sold

1930's styled hand built ratrod project

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle Wolfsburg Edition- sold

Matt167 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '51 Chevy Fleetline and a Ratrod project

I almost forgot to say, my friend's dad has a 73' Charger 440 ( I think it's a Charger 500 but I can't remember ) and he has a 71' Road Runner 340.
    You don't know what you've got til it's gone

Matt's 1951 Chevy Fleetline- Driver

1967 Ford Falcon- Sold

1930's styled hand built ratrod project

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle Wolfsburg Edition- sold

Castle50 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 50 Dodge Wayfarer

This may help with the tranny:

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-auto.html

I'd stick with the 318 for now. Pretty much a bulletproof engine.
    It will get you back and forth while you earn the cash for your big block.

wow...

I didn't realize so many people could leave a post in a day!

Anyway, thankyou all for the helpful information. I am going to try to get the 318 running until I can afford a bigger motor. As many abandoned sports cars and heavy duty trucks are around here, I don't think finding a bigger better engine will be all that much of a problem. The guy I bought it from said he had the thing running a little while back but when he went out to crank it up one morning it just wouldn't start and he gave up all hope on it.

I have bumped into a guy on the web who just happens to have a '72 Charger with a 440 in it. Actually he has two of em and he highly recommends them as well. He said he is rebuilding one right now that will push 600+ HP when he is done with it. That's what I'm talking about! Unfortunately, I don't think the cops here in the Florida panhandle would go for that...........

How much horsepower could I get out of a 440, with a 4-barrel carb, without doing any kind of serious tweaking of the engine? And what are some easy ways to tweak an engine and get lots of horsepower out of it without making the car try to stand up while I'm at a red light beside a cop? I would also like to change it from an automatic to a standard. I have seen an example of this in the latest issue of Mopar Magazine done to a Plymoth duster.

Also, no I have never heard of the Al show....

dcon426 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '89 Dodge Power Ram 4X4

Congrats on the Charger! My first car was a '72 charger as well! the SE model. Had the hideaway headlights and vinyl roof. Yellow with black vinyl roof, black interior. Buckets and a 727 slapstick shifter. It also had a 400ci BB in it.
    Remember this is a heavy car. 3800lbs. So that 318 is working hard and you are going to suck the gas.
    If interested, I have a build up for a 400+ hp 318ci you can do that would work great. Also a 400+ hp build up on what I did to my '71 Roadrunner with a 440.
    the problem I had with the 400 in my charger was I had to remove the left engine mount bolt and tilt the engine up so I could change the rear spark plug. Had to go around the headers, steering shaft , etc. Just something to keep in mind if ya leaning towards the 383ci and larger engines.
    Concerning a hemi....unless you keeping the car a very long time and $$$ money is not a option. Go for it! You will also need to change the K-member, torsion bars, shocks, front brakes, exhaust system and rear end to handle the hemi.
    As a MOPAR nut, don't hesitate to ask questions. the only dumb ones are the ones NOT asked!
    Good luck with the Charger and ENJOY it! I had a blast in mine!
    DCON
    "DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!"

76GMC1500 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

You could also convert one of the big block wedge motors to a hemi, there are kits. I don't know exactly what is involved, but a 426 hemi shares the same block as the 426 wedge which is the same platform as the 440 wedge. So, maybe you should consider a 440 hemi?

Mike P Thanks for giving Car freak the right info. I thought the 727 would hook up to a hemi with a bell housing change.

What is a K-member? Isn't it like..... part of the chassi or something? From what Dcon has said I assume he means the Charger cannot possibly handle that much torque without serious racing mods. Also Dcon mentioned changing the back end. Meaning the driveshaft and rear axle right?

Also, if I did decide to get a 426 wedge or a 440 wedge, what vehicles were those commonly found in? Maybe I could find one sitting around waiting for me to buy it, convert it, and chrome it up!

Does anyone know what fits into a '72 Charger best as far as engines and transmissions? And what kind of work am I looking at as far as converting it from an auto to a standard?

Also I know little to nothing about the Charger suspension. Anyone know of a good website that shows and talks about that?

76GMC1500 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

You probably wont find a donor car for a hemi, but the 440 is easy enough to find. Just about every car and truck Chrysler Corp offerered could be optioned with a 440. A lot of boats have them too.

I assume by boat you mean rediculously huge cars like cadilacs, buicks, and the like right?

Most of those cars I've seen have 350s in em. Although I do think it would be possible to find whatever engine I want in the local sales paper now that I think about it.

Could I put just any 440 into the Charger or does it have to be certain models? Also how would I go about finding out what kind of transmissions would go with what engines and how do I know it will all fit in my car? And no one has informed me about switching from an auto to a standard yet.

Someone kill Streets. So annoying........

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast