Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Front engine dragster t-bucket

Reply To Thread
    dandman is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: T-Bucket

Front engine dragster t-bucket

How come no one's put a T-Bucket body on the back of a front engine dragster yet, or have they?

I've seen bantams and fiat bodies, but no t-buckets. Is it possible? I'm going to build a t-bucket (in some form) and thought this might be cool. I am wondering if anyone's seen this done before. I'd like to see a picture of it and/or talk to someone who's "been there, done that".

I originally wanted to make a streetable front engine dragster. The reason for the t-bucket body is so I can take my wife or kids with me on cruises.

The radiator can lay inconspicuously between the front rails, thus keeping the front engine dragster "look" as much as possible. The battery can go under the seat and a moon tank between the front wheels. I'm hoping to hide some small projector style headlights somewhere. The rear will be leaf sprung w/ gas shocks, front - solid axle with friction shocks.

What do you think, is it doable? What's the minimum length drive shaft I should use?

M & M Jr is offline CHR Member/Moderator Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 05 Half Scale

Sounds cool but you half to remember it will look different with a roll cage
    Jr Racer 6885

Bob Parmenter is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32, 40 Fords,

There's nothing new under the sun I guess. What you're talking about was done back in the late '60's or early '70's (maybe even more than once) by a guy named Bill Frederick. He used an SOHC Ford engine. I have no idea where the car is today, just remember it was in a couple of mags. I've tried to do an internet search for pictures before, but the only reference I can come up with is my own post on this forum back a few months.

Here's a link to that. http://www.clubhotrod.com/t1197.html
    Your Uncle Bob, Senior Geezer Curmudgeon

It's much easier to promise someone a "free" ride on the wagon than to urge them to pull it.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.

Nothing new under the sun

Thanks for your effort, Bob Parmenter, on trying to find information about Bill Frederick's slingshot t-bucket. I'll do some searches myself and post whatever I find.

I figured I wasn't the first to come up with this combonation. If I can learn from other's efforts it will save a lot of headaches.

As for Streets', comments, I guess that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla icecream - cause some people have different tastes. (Personally, I like tuna ripple.)

Model

Streets,

Not a bad idea, but I thought a T-bucket with the "front engine dragster look" would have more of a nostalgic flavor. It would also be cheaper and easier to build. That's important to someone of my meager means and talent. Also, it wouldn't look like the rows of other t-buckets you see at car shows (not that I have anything against them - I'm a big fan.).

M&M Jr,

Hadn't thought about a roll bar but it makes sense. Perhaps a single up-side-down U-shaped bar behind the seats? Wouldn't be NHRA legal but I was just planning to drive it on the street anyway, although it would be fun to take it to the track once just to see what it could do...

Here's a blurry picture of a model.

More pictures

More pictures:

M & M Jr is offline CHR Member/Moderator Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 05 Half Scale

It looks pretty cool with a hardtop
    Jr Racer 6885

I found one!

Here's a picture of a front engine dragster t-bucket!!!!

Reply To Thread