Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Need guidance... starting a hotrod

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadTrip is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Smile Need guidance... starting a hotrod

Hi everyone! I have finally saved enough money to being work on something i’ve been saving for for two years... my own Toyota hot rod. Why Toyota? the reason is because I’ve always loved Toyota, they are very dependable and high quality, and because a Toyota hotrod is different! I’m new to building hot rods so this is all very new to me. I apologize in advance for my ignorance (but you gotta start somewhere!) From what i’ve gathered this is how its done (please correct me if i’m wrong!) I’m going for a very simple boxy straight angle design with this car. I already named it “badtrip” i’m thinking i’m going to go with a black car with a cool graphic on the side and a blue, green, or possible black light lighting the engine, the under body, and the interior of the car. So here is what i’m thinking...

First I get my engine/transmission, a 1UZ-FE (4.0L V8 ) out of a Lexus LS400. Clean and rebuild it, add supercharger. Rebuild the tranny to handle the power from the V8.

Then, I select my chassis, now this is up for debate but I think i’m going to go with a 92-97 paseo or tercel. It has a 93.7 inch wheelbase which should be perfect. I take the body off of the car and clean/repair the chassis.

Next, I modify the rear so that the 22x10 Intro wheel GT sport wheels (or I may go with Boyd-Coddington Timeless 2’s) wont make the rear end of the car stand up like a 4x4. I also mod the front so that the 17x8’s even the stance out. Pictures and more info on the wheels can be found here: http://www.introwheels.com/pages/w_e...gt_sport.shtml

Then the adjustable Coilovers suspension is installed in conjunction with the modifications to the frame for the wheels. LS400 brake with braided steel lines are installed.

I have a basic design of how the car will look but dimensions are going to be taken as I go. Therefore, the next step for me would be to measure out all the parts that’ll make up the frame of the car. Cut the steel tubing (what size do I use?) then have the ends shaved so they’ll fit together (what's that process called?) Then I weld the frame to the car.

Next the engine goes into the frame and is secured. I from there can measure out and bend piping for the dual exhaust and secure the transmission. Also I assume i’ll need to install a firewall (correct?)

After that I construct the cabin (i’ll be molding fiberglass to allot of the interior along with sound components and the necessary gauges) attach and build the doors (i’m thinking shaved suicide doors) and install the windshield.

Next is the tricky part, I think I want to install large over fenders to the rear wheels. they’d just cover the tops and half of the sides. The metal work for the rear gets measured out and installed along with the taillights and brake lights. The rest of the bodywork get taken care of. Plexiglas gets installed to the sides front so you can see the engine inside. I’m probably going to light the inside of the engine with some sort of lights as said above.

Mirrors with LED turn signals are installed (is it safe to run the wire for that thru the tubular frame?)

Now we get to the front... I really really don’t know what I want to do with the front. I know exactly what I want the rear, side, and interior to look like but when it comes to the front I have no idea. I’m actually considering just waiting till everything is done before I begin to work on it. Right now i’m leaning toward something like this:

I don’t know what that style of headlights is called but that's what i’m leaning toward. One thing that's been stuck in my head is the classic Lexus lights pattern... White/whitish blue headlights with bright yellow fogs. I’m more then likely going to incorporate that into the car.

I am finally ready to accept the responsibility of building such a car and i’m extremely excited to start. So does that look like a good plan or am I completely missing something??

Thanks for all your help!!

deltahomer is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Chevy 210

Badtrip it sounds like a great plan. Persue that idea im sure Henry Ford at one point thought he was missing somthing. There were a lot of people who thought Delorean was crazy for trying to shoehorn big engines in pontiacs. Build it and enjoy it DH Welcome To CHR ! !

SprayTech is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 Ford tudor humpback

Going to be real hard to take the body off the frame , as the cars you mentioned are Uni-body design .
    You can take the doors off , trunk off, hood off , & fenders off , but it will leave you a shell structure . The only toyotas I know of that has a frame are the trucks .

You can build what you want with a uni-body construction , but will require alot of fabrication.
    How well is your tool box stocked ?
    Hows your welding skills ?
    Do you know about retaining structure of the vehicle , to keep it safe?

Might be a good idea to look into some body/frame/paint classes to help you learn and to build your project.

Good Luck
    SprayTech
    Last edited by SprayTech; 06-25-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Hmm spraytech I never thought of that. So if I use a pickup truck frame and its a 4x2 could I still use the 1UZ-FE with minimal fabrication?

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

My question would be....where are you going to find the engine/transmission package without paying an arm and a leg for it. The Lexus LS400 first gen car is selling for $12,000 to $25,000, so even if one has been wrecked, somebody is gonna rebuild it to sell as a running car. It's only a 250 hp motor and where are you gonna find hop-up pieces for the trans after you bolt on a blower?

It's great to dream about a project, but I think you'd better think this through a little better before you start.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Originally posted by techinspector1
    It's great to dream about a project, but I think you'd better think this through a little better before you start.
    I have, The 1UZ's are very easy to pick up a running one for as low as $300. You know why? Cause the engines last so long theres no demand for them. As for the supercharging i've already spoken with the guy who owns lextreme and he has a blow 1UZ and sells the mounting bracket for the supercharger. I ran a quick search on "car-part.com" and came up with 11 diffrent 1UZ's in my area all under $750 . As for the tranny theres a place around here that will do it for $700.

What I need to know is if I can take a tacoma or t100 frame and drop a 1UZ right on it or what

thanks!

robot is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 39 Ford Coupe, 32 Ford Roadster

SprayTech forgot one thing in his list of equipment.....

$$MONEY$$

Forget the tool box full of tools, get a tool box full of $100s

and then, it's still a yoda

Originally posted by robot
    SprayTech forgot one thing in his list of equipment.....

$$MONEY$$

Forget the tool box full of tools, get a tool box full of $100s

and then, it's still a yoda
    Ok cool, i'll worry about that, and I don't know why you gotta hate on toyota, i'm sorry that the only matenince I have to do is get oil changes and put windshield wiper fluid in

I knew going into this that it would be a considerable amount of money, thats why I saved for TWO YEARS in order to do this. So what i'm asking is:

Can I put drop a 1UZ on a Toyota truck frame or will I need to do something special to it?

timothale is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 16 t buckethotrod 17 horsless carriaget

toyota rod

I saw a toyota powered rat rod, In N calif a while back Take a class and learn to weld. Harbor freight sells a tubing notcher on sale for $50. use hole saws and plenty of coolant and you can build your roll cage and stiffen up the chassis.My old buddy, the late Joe Davis built one of the first funny car mustang's. just the skin over an altered chassis.. his picts are still in Half Moon
    Bay Calif .. at one time he had 4 records drag racing. It's best not to drill extra holes in your cage. if you do, you need to drill enough to install grommets so the wires don't get chafed and wear thru the insulation. MY brother built an old dirt track car, the body was basically just the skin with tubing braces and brackets to bolt it on the floor , seats, inst panel steering and pedals stayed on the chassis. you could drive it that way
    timothale

I drive a Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner ex-Cab ( 1999 ) my 3rd yoda PU

Yes I left out the money part , and one thing I will add is figure out the project dollar amount , then double it !

For a project like yours , you will need some tools like , a finger break, tubing notcher ( mentioned) , bead roller ( for strengthing flat sheet metal ), mig welder, Tig welder for welding chrome moly tubing ( not nesessary, but a nicer weld ), plasma cutter,
    an English Wheel ( for forming compound curved sheet metal for body panels, metal shrinker/streacher. Plus a slew of hand tools . The big item tools you can get by with out , BUT they do make things ALOT easier building a scratch body.

Oh and you will need alot of room in your garage .

SprayTech

The tools and metal work are covered. My friend builds motorcycles for aliving and has all the nessisary tools for the project.

The thing I really really need to know before I can move on is:

1. Will a 1UZ drop right into the toyota truck chasis?

2. Can I reposition the rear axle higher up then the frame and have it still work perfectly?

3. Can I easily move where the steering wheel is located?

Thanks!

The motor should be no problem , but it wont be a bolt in deal !

Z the frame and get the ride hight you want .

shouldnt be a big deal with steering wheel location , as you can get swivel joints and shafts to get to your steering box.

Originally posted by SprayTech
    The motor should be no problem , but it wont be a bolt in deal !

Z the frame and get the ride hight you want .

shouldnt be a big deal with steering wheel location , as you can get swivel joints and shafts to get to your steering box.
    Thanks for you help!! Time for more questions!

1. Aside from mounts and relocating a few parts it should be pretty straight forward right?

2. What is "Z"ing the frame?

3. Is there a website or something I can look at and price swivel joints and shafts? I've looked at some of the sponsored sites but can't seem to find them.

Thanks again!

I dont want to burst your bubble here but if you dont have a concept of how a vehicle is built and all the workings and terms of certain things , you may want to look into a auto tech school , as this will be of great use to you , we can help out but we cant build it for you
    And doing a google search can do wounders

This may be of some help on the steering
    http://www.flamingriver.com/

now " Z'ing " a frame :
    http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/SRchassis01.html

Spray

Thanks spray! you've been so helpful i'm very greatful. I have a rather silly question to ask... the chasis is too long for what i'm looking to do. Is it possible to simply cut a foot or so out of the chasis and weld it back together?

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast