Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 331 Chrysler Hemi

Reply To Thread
    urotu is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '77 Blazer, '64 Buick, '29 A Tudor

331 Chrysler Hemi

Alright fellow hot rodders, this is the question(s). I got a line on an old 331 hemi and would like to hear from any of you old timers that has ever had anything to do with them. This one is a late model ('54-'55) so does not have the bell housing built on the block. What I'm lookin' for is any kind of info on rebuild kits, performance parts etc. I would also like to hear from any of you guys that have had them, what about reliability and performance? Are they pretty good motors? Can I get some miles out of one? I'm not tryin' to build a trailer queen, I like my cars driveable, distances even so what ever I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any info.

Derek

Mike P is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 Ply, 68 Ply Valiant, 83 El Camino

Overall these were/are a good engine and properly rebuilt should go well over 100,000 miles. As far a performance it will depend in large part on the heads. Late 54 was a change over year for larger valves that breather better than the earlier small valve units. The small valve heads can usually be identified by NOT having the water crossover passage in the front of the head and a "wet" intake manifold with the thermostat located in the intake.

Now a little dose of reality. If your going for visual impact I don't think anything beats the looks of a dressed out Hemi. If weight is not a consideration cubic inch for cubic inch it's hard to beat the Hemi head design for potential. In this case keep in mind you only have 331 CI (plus what ever overbore).

The 2 main sources of Hemi parts I have used are PAW (send for their early Hemi catalog) and http://www.hothemiheads.com/

You might want to spend a little time adding up what it will cost to go through one of these engines before you plunge in with both feet.

blackmopar04 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 plymouth

PAW is definitely your best source for all things 'Early Hemi'

http://www.earlyhemiengineparts.com/

urotu is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '77 Blazer, '64 Buick, '29 A Tudor

Thanks for the leads guys. Mike, I know its not many cubes, but i've hade my share of SB's and just wanted something a liitle different to play with. I'm hopin' to put into a late '20's early '30's bodied hot rod, so it'll be pretty light, but I don't want to be afraid to drive it, ya know? I want to build a car I can get into and drive like anything else and mike you gave me some of the info I wanted with the miles. Just want to know how laong they lasted and how much driveable power they will work with. I'm not tryin' to build a quater miler, but I'd like it to be fun to drive.

Mike P is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 Ply, 68 Ply Valiant, 83 El Camino

I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just wanted you (and anyone else who happened to read this) to know what they were in for.

These old motors pretty much started out with all "the good stuff" to include steel cranks and the factory tolerances were held pretty close. With a quality rebuild they'll last at least as long as anything else.

One of the better books I've read about these is the Complete Chrysler Hemi Manual by Ron Ceridono, published by Tex Smith publishing. If you get the Hemi it's good reference material.

For a dependable street motor, about the only improvements needed are a cam, better intake and better exhaust.

Good luck

Mike

Reply To Thread