Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: New pinion and ring installation

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

New pinion and ring installation

I went out and got everything new except the carier bearings and spider gears beacuse they look brand new.I am going to install the pinion with the honed out bearing and then the carier to determine gear miter and back lash as Denny suggested.I am also going to clean the housing out real good first,I also have new axel bearings and seals .

Everything sound good soo far ?I have never done this before so any info is a confidence builder at this point.
    The gears are 4.11:1 richmond sportsman gears.
    I will be posting pics of the gear miter also when its installed to get your guys opinions.
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

Thnx,I think its going good soo far!!Got a good brush and swabed it out like a cannon barrel With soap and water.
    Refurbished the drive line with new u-joints and carrier bearing.
    I am going to install the pinion with the fancy honed out bearing and the the carrier to determine where I am at today.........Here are some progress pics.
    Attached Images

More progress!!!
    Attached Images

Today ,I had the grind down some burs where the race shoulders are inside the rear end case {seems previous repairer dinged em pretty good and the race was not seated}which means starting all over with the cleaning process.

Then I was able to install the front and rear race with the help from step dads tools,a hydraulic bearing installer makes life easy as 1,2,3, and they were in!!!I also was able to remove and re-install the ring on the carrier and install the pinion in the rear end.
    I cant even imagine how much more difficult it would have been with out a slide puller and the hydraulic installer!!
    Attached Images

I saved the best 2 for last,...the torque wrench and the hydraulic bearing installer!!!The torque wrench is older than my truck ...but was checked about 6 months ago wrench to wrench with the most exspensive torque wrench in town and it was within 1/2 lb of perfect
    Attached Images

SBC
    SBC is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 Chevy Nova 283 4-spd

Nice - don't forget the assembly photos
    There is no limit to what a man can do . . . if he doesn't mind who gets the credit. (Ronald Reagan)

Here are the drive side marks on the ring.....the ring comes coated in the black sulfur,so what I did was to rotate the yoke clockwise with wd-40 in the ring to wear the coating off and establish these marks.I compared it to the instructions that came with the gear and it looks to be a pretty good pattern....?I dunno?
    Attached Images

The back lash is exactly .018 which is the max spec on the gear.,.010-.018.
    These last 2 pics are the new axel bearings installed and the carrier in its place with the lash spec on the ring.
    Attached Images

Now for the coast side.....This is what I understand ,tell me if I am wrong.......load the gear in reverse of what I did to obtain these marks..the reading is going to be on the same tooth face?just in a different place..?or am I looking on the other side of the tooth?

Correct ,...just the pinion.I see what you mean about the contact area needing to be closer to the meat of it,which decreases back lash.
    And no problem with the time ,I think your keepin up just fine!!!!!!I will go and see if I can use the same method to get some coast marks!!!

brianrupnow is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1931 Roadster Pickup

This is a very good post. I only replaced a ring and pinion gear twice in my life. The first time, in a 1956 Ford pickup, and the damned rearend howled like a wolf from then untill I sold it. The second time, in a Grenada 8" rearend under the 27 roadster, and that one went well, but it was more good luck that skilled installation techniques----
    Old guy hot rodder

Coast side of ring,pics.
    Brian,
    I have found very little info on setting up rear ends on the internet and most people act like your colored red and have horns when you start talking rear ends
    Attached Images

1 more pic!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by shawnlee28; 03-29-2007 at 06:41 PM.

On the 3 different gear types ,you are refering to the ring and pinion...or the internal gears of the carrier?The ring and pinion did not say one way or the other about haveing to line the pinion and gear at a certain spot.Unfortunatly I just cant finacially bear to replace the internal carrier gears at this time,maybe in a few months I can get inside and do that by simply pulling the axels and changing those out.
    In case I have not made it clear,all I can say is your help has been invaluable Denny and this probably would not have happened if not for your support!!!!

Thnx,Denny
    I will take some pics tomorrow of the axel and spider gears ......I am pretty sure they are shot, mirrored surface and pitting,but no wear scaring.The axel gears look good ,but it looks like these only come in a set of all 4 ,so I guess they all get replaced at once.As long as this is something on the spiders thats just not ideal I am ok with that for now...,hopefully.I really do not want to put them back in if there is a chance they will destroy the rest of the rear assembly.I would only be putting a couple hundred in town street miles on it at the most before I replace them just to be sure.

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast