Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: seeking wisdom beyond chiltons ... 93 pontiac

Reply To Thread
    spideronion is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 93 pontiac

Question seeking wisdom beyond chiltons ... 93 pontiac

hi ...
    mmm, first ... forgive me for nosing in on your "hot-rod" forum with my blatently non-hot-rod (p.o.s) pontiac grand am ...

it's a 93 ... 3.3 v-6 pontiac grand am

i've replaced alternator and serpentine belt ...

after jump starting .. it sounded good ... but having been sitting a spell ... (the ports probably need to be cleaned ... ) anyhow .. when engine cuts out ... there is a "clunking" sound .. and seems to be the alternator , or in that vicinity ... i started it again .. same thing ....

when belt is "engaged" ... , meaning , with tension .. i can only spin alternator "fan" by hand ... approx 180 degrees and then it locks ... i can spin it back and forth ....to the same spot ... but with out tension on the belt can spin it freely , completely around, as well, the other pulleys ...i do have A/C ...

i'm positive the belt is "threaded correctly" ... i had my curious neighbor check it out ...
    then i walked away for about an hour ... and went back to look again ....to double check ...

any ideas or words of wisdom ... much appreciated ...
    spider

HWORRELL is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 31 FORD 5 WINDOW,69 442, 305 sprint car,

Man...... Not real sure what ya got goin but ya shouldn't be able to turn that thing with the belt on...... these alternators are notorious for bad bearings...is it new reman???? Please don't tell me you got it from autozone......... bent fan blade ???
    if ya had to change pulley did ya miss the spacer ???????

76GMC1500 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Check to see that your belt tensioner isn't stuck, they go bad fairly often. You should be able to pry on it with something and it will lift off of the belt. Then, let go and it should snap back.

drg84 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1996 Aurora Autobahn edition

Also see if the spring on the tensioner is still good. They have been known to streatch into uselessness. PS, avoid electronics at advanced auto!
    Right engine, Wrong Wheels

ok, i won't tell you i got it at autozone ...
    i'm gonna take the "i'm blonde" avenue on that one ...
    (not) ...

thanks for the replies .. and noted ...

soooo.... i surrendered to the tow truck ... and today i learned .... it appears to be the harmonic balance pulley that has taken the dump ... bearings or something ..
    i have noted in my "hello , i'm new thread" .. that while the problems where being explained to me ... my mind had trialed off into images of tearing up the sellers lawn with my boyfriends truck....
    i am not a happy camper ... greg, friend/station owner explained to me that they had put a pulley in to determine if that was in fact the problem ... and it was... but it also shed light on the next problem .. something with the fuel injectors ... leaking somewhere or something ... to quote him ... " a serious running problem " ... it continues to cut out ... he might have well been speaking dollars at that point , cause thats all i could hear ...
    that and the sound of revving engine .. and some woman in the background ... oh please no .. not my mums ... aaaaahhhhhhh

mmmm, i'm very bummed out ... i trust greg ... and think next time maybe i won't play quite so "independent" and ask for help before the purchase ...
    i do have to note ... the boyfriend has refrained "comments" ... so i am rewarding him tonite with the potato soup that he keeps asking for ... hoping maybe while he is indulging , thats when i'll ask to borrow his beloved truck (the mistress) for a "special mission" ... ha ha ....... i have to admit .. it is alot of fun to drive ...

signed,
    jill dirte ... pronounced ... dear-tay ....
    (spider)
    have a great thanksgiving all!!!

wow ... that is truly a bummer ...

so , since you have made the most sense to me thus far ... in your opinion, what do you think i aught to do with the car...

i'm $2200.00 into for the purchase ... and $45.00 for the towing... i haven't registered or titled it , yet ... was waiting until it was road ready ...

if i understand the harmonic pulley will run me around $300.00 and i haven't looked into if it's something i might be able to do myself ... if it isn't then i also have labor costs...

the other problem , now that i am somewhat enlightened , i have no idea what i am looking at now ... still roughly $400.00 maybe and labor costs... ?? i guess i will have to ask around ...

is it the type of repair that is "worthwhile" ? ...
    bf thinks that it should be ... but honestly is not that mechanically inclined .... and said it was probably better to ask someone in the know ...

so far i have split input .. some say junk it.. sell it for what i can get ... and others say repair it ...

i am disheartened and confused ... and now a bit intimidated ....i do not wish to blow up and burn ... good god ... as sick as it is ... the way you wrote it , made me laugh .....
    i just can't imagine how i would react to something llike that ... standing there in the snow .... with ice scraper in hand , watching ... and then looking around to see if anyone else was witnessing such a catastrophe ...
    i'm in a rural area... so chances are ... maybe a few snickering deer and some bunnies ...
    curse it ...
    i knew i shoulda kept my probe ... but it's not a winter car ... umm, yeah , like my non running pontiac is?... ok...
    good coffee this morning ..
    thanks a million streets for your replies .. much appreciated ...
    hope your thanksgiving was pleasant ... and that you fair well in the upcoming holiday ..
    peace
    spider

jaymaechtlen is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: formerly a Corvair (61 2-dr)

I'm coming late to this party...
    but I've had a couple of Buicks with the 3.3, it seemed like a very good unit. Aside from the usual alternator and water pump at 100-120k miles, the motor/trans was no problem. Never touched the injectors and related stuff. Unfortunately, if you can't DIY, any silly thing can get expensive!
    The 3.3 has the injectors and everything where it is visible- or do you have the 3.1 motor? I understand that the 3.1 has everything under the inlet manifold where it is much more "fun" to get at...
    Good Luck!

Jay

Reply To Thread