Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: I am building a 32 grill----Wanna Watch????

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    brianrupnow is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1931 Roadster Pickup

I am building a 32 grill insert----Wanna Watch????

No Bunkie, this is not for a car thats going into the Oakland Roadster show.----Not exactly for a rat-rod either. I have built 2 32 grill inserts in the past, and now I'm going to build one for the roadster pickup. Why----cause I'm not a fan of the expanded metal look, but there ain't no way I can afford $500 for an aftermarket grill. This grill will look like a 32 grill, and will be painted flat black (which will really go good with the chrome yellow paint) It will weigh about 15 pounds, and be made of 1/4" diameter cold rolled steel rod. I know that a fiberglass 32 grillshell will support it O.K., cause both my earlier cars are still running around the country wearing the grills I built. My total cost?----I just bought 80 foot of 1/4" cold rolled steel rod at the local metal shop for $18.00 Throw in $5 for a rattle can of flat black Krylon, and thats it----a $23 nineteen thirty two Ford grill clone.----stay tuned----pictures will be posted.
    Last edited by brianrupnow; 04-27-2005 at 11:45 AM.
    Old guy hot rodder

DHOTROD is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    LOS ANGELES. CALIF.... Blvd of broken dream's.
    Car Year, Make, Model: 31 Ford Cpe....Chicken Sh#t Yellow

Thumbs up Cool...........

Very cool............ I'm in the process of getting ready to do mine too. Mine is a 4 inch chopped 32 shell. Can't wait to see your pic's and hear about the tricks.
    Thanks.........N/N.
    If I go to sleep........The clown's will eat me!!
    Hmmmm.......24 hour's in a day......24 beer's in a case. Coincidence?..... I think not!.

This is how it starts---I use fairly heavy cardboard to make an exact pattern of the inside of the grillshell, which will of course be the outside of the grill insert frame. This step is very important to get right. I use a glue gun and many small peices of cardboard to follow the inner curved shape of the grillshell opening.---Try not to glue the cardboard to the shell---see the vicegrips and c-clamp at the bottom. What I do is clamp a peice of cardboard to the shell at the bottom and build out from it with my other cardboard. You have to glue the cardboard to the shell at the top to get everything to stay put, but only do it in 2 or 3 small places. That hot melt glue really sticks, and we don't want to wreck the pattern when it is removed from the shell.
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

Exclamation Okay...........

Okay.......... You have my undivided attention Don't leave me hanging on with bated breath........... what's next
    Hmmmm.......24 hour's in a day......24 beer's in a case. Coincidence?..... I think not!.

Okay---next step. (this is happening real time, the computer gives me a break between stages). Carefully remove the pattern from the grill shell and trace around it onto a peice of 3/4" plywood. (You will see that I have 2 peices of plywood joined together, thats only because I never throw any plywood scraps away I reuse them over and over). Cut out the profile with sabre saw. When you remove the pattern from the grill shell it will not be flat, but will follow the contour of the shell----don't worry about that----flatten that sucker out on the plywood and trace around it.----here's the deal---we are going to use that cut out hole in the plywood as a forming buck to form the perimeter frame. I will use 1/4" cold rolled round bar for everything---if you want to use flat bar for the perimeter frame, go for it. I prefer the round stock).---When I made my first 2 grill inserts I formed the rod around the peice which was cut out, minus 1/4"---the problem with doing that is there is a lot of spring-back to this rod, and its difficult to do it that way. This way, forming into the cut out, I think it will be easier to form the rod without the spring-back factor.---It is almost impossible to form the entire perimeter out of one peice of rod, so I will use 2 peices, with the split line exactly on the vertical centerline of the insert.---The top weld actually tucks back under the upper grillshell nose, and the bottom weld will be hidden by one of the vertical rods.
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

ok............

oh.......oh, woodshop stuff......

canadianal is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 ford custom,27 t bucket

cool brian i want too see how this turns out i started my grill for my rod this weekend took a old dodge earlie 30s grill widended it 4 inches and then welded a 16 inch cowl panel on the back. i hinged the bottom so its a mini flip up that will sit in front of the fan . the rad will be seperatly mounted to the frame underneath. it almost has a old. 1920 indy car look.

There---first side of perimeter frame is done. Before you start to work on bending the rod, establish a centerline to use as a reference---this is just square and tapemeasure work. For a full length (unchopped) 32 insert like mine, cut a peice of rod 52" long, and starting at the end of the opening that corresponds with "bottom" of the grillshell, let the end of the rod extend about 5" past the centerline. NOTE--you do not heat this rod to bend it---its all bent by hand, a bit at a time to get the radius at the first corner. Once you get the first corner close, put a clamp on it, and using a medium size hammer, give it many small forcefull taps into the radiussed corner, while forcing it with your free hand into the corner, to help it take the exact shape. No big whacks---you dont want any localized bending under the hammer blow, you just want to "convince" the rod into the same curve as the plywood untill it holds its own shape.---Then work your way up to the next corner, clamping, tapping, and "convincing" the rod into shape. This requires a bit of practice. When the rod will hold the exact shape you want, your done. Take your hacksaw and cut the extra rod off that extends beyond the centerline at both ends.
    ---Then repeat the process for the other side. Tomorrow we will trial fit the 2 perimeter peices into the shell, and when we are happy with the fit we will clamp them into place in the grillshell and tackweld them together. (thats how we get around the fact that you flattened out the pattern when you cut the hole in the plywood)
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

marco is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1960 willys 1955 willys wagon

Hay Hay Can't wait for tomorrow ! Keep up the good work. Can't beat your price.

Unhappy Well..............

[i]Originally posted by brian, Tomorrow we will trial fit the 2 perimeter peices into the shell, and when we are happy with the fit we will clamp them into place in the grillshell and tackweld them together. (thats how we get around the fact that you flattened out the pattern when you cut the hole in the plywood) [/B]
    Hey Brian............What happened I tuned in..... same Bat channel...........same Bat time.......... Ya left me hanging.
    ''The Naked Ninja''

This post shows the result of fitting the 2 halves of the perimeter frame into the shell, and tack welding them together in place, to achieve the proper fit and angle. After they were tacked together, they were carefully removed and welded solidly together on the bench. A word of caution---this is not an easy thing to do---you need one hand to hold each peice in place, one hand to hold the welder, one hand to hold the light---in short you need more arms than an octopus. I had the individual peices in and out half a dozen times trimming them to length, etcetera---then I tacked them at the top only, took the assembled peices out, trimmed some more at the bottom, put them back in the shell, tacked the bottom---you get the picture. Once they were welded to my satisfaction, I stuck them back into the shell, marked what I beleive is the center, and cut the center rod to length (cut it a bit long and keep grinding the ends a bit at a time untill it is a perfect fit between the top and bottom of the frame. Then tack weld at the bottom only. Then get out your carpenters level and make absolutely certain that the rod is dead nuts vertical, then tack the top. You only get one chance at this---cause the other rods are all spaced out 1/4" from that center rod. My next post will show how I space the bars exactly.
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

This is it for tonight, my back is killing me---damn rain----damn arthritis. You can see that I am doing all the welding on the back side where it won't show. I find it very difficult to control the size of bead with a mig. The first 2 grills I made were welded with my oxy-acetylene torch, where it is far easier to control the bead and penetration.--When I am finished positioning and welding all the bars on the back side, I will flip the insert over, and use my gas torch and some small mild steel filler rod to blend the ends of the bars into the perimeter frame.--Oh Yeah---check out my high tech spacers for maintaining perfect 1/4" gap between the bars.
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

Well, how do you like it so far?--I got this far tonight and ran out of 1/4" rod. So far, I have $18 and 3 evenings labour invested. I still have to gas weld the front side to blend in the joints with some mild steel filler rod, but I think this is going to turn out nice. Tomorrow I will buy some rod to finish it, and will add a post showing the studs welded to the back side of the insert which will go through holes in the fiberglass shell to secure it in place.
    Attached Images
    Old guy hot rodder

Thumbs up Very cool.............

Very cool............ you did some very nice work here. I like it.

Don Shillady is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 29 fendered roadster

Great work, as usual Brian! But I don't think I can do this kind of welding so I am going to cop out and just put on a chrome '29 shell and maybe someday a chrome screen. Congratulations on your workmanship!

Don Shillady
    Retired Scientist/teen rodder

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast