Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 newbie

Reply To Thread
    mopper is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Question 429 newbie

I have found a few 429 engines running for around $1500, but doubt that they are cobras,supercobras,boss or nascar probably 2-bolt mains, stock etcetera. Are these engines worth investing into, if they are not along the high performance lines?
    If so What would would be a reccomended minumum mid level performance upgrades to these standard 429s.
    What does "id rather walk than be a tuner mean? Tuner?
    Sorry for ignorence , newbie

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Balancing, standard rebuild on the shortblock including new rod bolts and resizing the rods, Edelbrock aluminum heads and Edelbrock RPM cam, intake and carb package. Makes a great street motor.

"tuners" are ricers, also know as Jap cars!! Just one of the many who choose to drive and ride American Iron instead of exporting more money and jobs overseas.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

$1500 sound like a lot of money to me...for a stock running 429 engine.

If it is a 429, then a 1971 model or earlier is a good engine. The 1972 and 1973 engines don't have great heads for a 429.

The base model 429/460 engine is a great engine in and of itself. General consensus is that the stock 2-bolt block can handle 600HP, 700HP with a main stud kit, 900HP with main stud & girdle and upwards of 1000HP with a 4-bolt conversion with forged main caps.

The good heads on a 429 would be casting numbers C8VE-A, C9VE-A, D0VE-A & D0VE-C. These heads--properly ported--have supported 700 dyno-proven horsepower on normally aspirated stroker motors.

For about $1500 to your door, you can buy a stroker kit for those engines that come complete with crank, rods, pistons, bearings and rings. All you need is to select a cam and cam bearings and take it all to the machine shop. For the price of a good shortblock rebuild, you can hav e a 502-514 cubic inch stroked 429. (Or bigger yet for a little more money.) Port and prep heads with bigger valves for the applicaton.

But again, in regards to the $1500 price tag, I have picked up running engines in cars--a 1969 T-bird with a Thunderjet, for example--for $250 and I drove it home. I once bought a 1968 T-Bird for $300 and drove it home. I bought a 1974 Merc wagon with a 460 for $100 and drove it home. $1500 is ridiculous, but yes, the motors are great.

Paul

Reply To Thread