Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: year of 429

Reply To Thread
    mustang tim is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1973 ford mustang mach 1

year of 429

hi i got a 429 and im trying to find the year the casting says 3 dove94258 and also below that it has f42b19 it has d2vvaa head which i heard was junk let me know what i should do to get some power with a little cost looking to put under 3k in motor

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mustang tim View Post
    hi i got a 429 and im trying to find the year the casting says 3 dove94258 and also below that it has f42b19 it has d2vvaa head which i heard was junk let me know what i should do to get some power with a little cost looking to put under 3k in motor
    Although you really haven't provided the necessary numbers to pinpoint actual year of manufacture, the D2VE-AA heads were installed on 1972 year model 429/460's only.

With a carefully spent $3000, you ought to be able to do a ported D3VE head swap (the D2VE heads must go), a double-roller straight-up timing chain, a recurved OEM Dura-Spark distributor and Box, aluminum intake and a larger Holley carburetor.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

ok wha size carb are you thinking and what brand names of stuff im a newbe and dont know anything and will this 429 in fit a 73 mustang with just some brackets or more work

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
    Although you really haven't provided the necessary numbers to pinpoint actual year of manufacture, the D2VE-AA heads were installed on 1972 year model 429/460's only.

With a carefully spent $3000, you ought to be able to do a ported D3VE head swap (the D2VE heads must go), a double-roller straight-up timing chain, a recurved OEM Dura-Spark distributor and Box, aluminum intake and a larger Holley carburetor.

Paul
    im alaso thinking about running a dual carb intake how much more hp will i get is it worth it

Daffy427 is offline Banned Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: The thing in the avatar

ok wha size carb are you thinking and what brand names of stuff im a newbe and dont know anything and will this 429 in fit a 73 mustang with just some brackets or more work
    780 works good on those...429s came in those year mustangs( same as 70-71torino platform)..not sure what special parts are needed but I know it fits... I put one in a 69 once and it wasn't too bad
    I remember when hot rods were all home made.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

The Mustang bldy was changed in 1972 and one of the specific changes was that the 429 would be a bolt-in deal. Don't know what engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, etc you might need but the aftermarket header manufacturers, etc should be able to help you out.

For a 1972 Mustang a Holley 750 or 850 cfm would be the way to go. Which one you use depends on the overall build and engine use.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

hotrodstude is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 2006,ford,f-150,v-6,5-speed manual

if you have an autotrans your going to need a special crossmember. i did a conversion from auto to 4-speed and had to get a different crossmember to make the 4-speed fit. standard mustang crossmember. should not be that hard to find.(4-speed crossmember)

Reply To Thread