Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 69 460 valve train upgrade?

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    topgun is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

69 460 valve train upgrade?

Hi to all. I just got here and even though I am sure this has already been covered before, I have a question about a 460 that Iam building for my car. So here goes. !968 Lincoln Continental,original 460 motor with rail type rockers. Now, I have installed a fresh 460 of the same year and I would like to do away with the rail type rockers. I had my head redone wityh larger cobrajet valves and would like to know if I can just bolt on a set of roller rockers by just replacing the studs and installing guide plates and hardened pushrods without further modifying the heads.If so what length push rods and can I really use B>B> chevy rockers. Any help will be appreciated

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

Maybe Paul Kane our resident 460 guy will see and post, but in the meantime, I have a 460 that I used Harlan Sharp roller rockers on. Has screw in studs and guide plates. Been a while since I did it so not sure about pushrod length, but mine has a roller cam anyway so it wouldn't probably be the same. You will probably want to do the geometry once you get everything setup anyway,so your pushrod length will be determined then.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Don

Thanks Don.

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

i have done the 460 drill and tap for the 7/16 bbc rocker stud s buy the bbf ford roller rockers and guide plates i drill and tap them on a mill .i check the push rods at mild lift and the geometry is dif for a harlan sharp to a crane things roller rocker are not all the same. like roller tip size and base circle and lift all play in get the rigth length pushrods
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 06-22-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

A definite yes on stepping up to the 7/16" studs!!! Once you get the studs, some good rockers (I like Comp Cams), and the correct pushrods and guide plates as Pat suggested, might also want to stabilize all of it with a good stud girdle..... Big blocks like big cams, big cams take big spring pressures, big spring pressures take a strong rocker, stud, pushrod, and girdle. You don't need it all, but it sure does give some added longevity to the valve train....
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Thanks so far guy's. But I thought early 460's like mine already have 7/16 studs. Can't I just bolt on a new set of studs and get rid of the bottle neck ones in there now and just bolt on the guides and rockers. I am not a huge motorhead so my knowlege is limited. My engine is aside from the bigger valves it has an edlelbrock performer cam and intake so you see it is not built to be a monster, Just a nice cruiser.

If it already has the holes drilled and tapped to 7/16" then you save a bit on machining costs..... What pressure are your valve springs? The stud girdles are reasonably priced and serve to not only keep the studs all straight but will also help to maintain the valve adjustment.....
    Carroll Shelby

The valve springs are the stock ones but are all new.

The real reason I am looking at roller rockers is that with the new larger size valves I did not realize that the valve tip on the intake valve is shorter than the exhaust and causes a clearance problem with the rail type rockers which the manual states require atleast a 1/16 gap between the rocker and spring assy. The exhaust valves rocker to spring assy clearance is fine as it should be because everything is new including the rockers. So that is wht I am leaning towards the rooler rockers for a remedy unless the is another way to fix my clearance problem.....................Rich

Quote Originally Posted by topgun
    The real reason I am looking at roller rockers is that with the new larger size valves I did not realize that the valve tip on the intake valve is shorter than the exhaust and causes a clearance problem with the rail type rockers which the manual states require atleast a 1/16 gap between the rocker and spring assy. The exhaust valves rocker to spring assy clearance is fine as it should be because everything is new including the rockers. So that is wht I am leaning towards the rooler rockers for a remedy unless the is another way to fix my clearance problem.....................Rich
    The roller rockers and paying very close attention to checking and measuring very carefully for the correct pushrod length is the best way I know of....
    Carroll Shelby

Thanks Dave. Sounds like I be gettin' rollers then. So will I just be able to bolt on a set of new studs and guide plates to install rollers? With mearsuring for correct pushrod length being the real trick? That part I have never done before But I WILL learn how. I hope someone here can help me with that info too.Thanks................Rich

should be it.... We've been racing the BB Ford's since '97----balancing and pushrod length are IMO the two most critical parts of an engine build....

Use Pat McCarthy's method for measuring the pushrod length, it's the best way to do it.....
    Carroll Shelby

Pat McCarthy?

Quote Originally Posted by topgun
    Pat McCarthy?
    yup, see post #4 in this thread....
    Carroll Shelby

Ok MR. McCarthy. Can you please outline the procedure that you use for checking rod length.Thanks in advance.......................Rich

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast