Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460-460cj differences

Reply To Thread
    Hudsonguy is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 41 Hudson Truck

460-460cj differences

Hi to all from the UK. just looking for some parts for my engine rebuild and got offered a new set of Edelbrock heads p/n edl61649, listed in Summit for 460cj application, weiand stealth intake and a few other parts too. Now I have a standard 460ci engine (mid '70s)so will this stuff fit or not/ I don't know the difference if any in this area could someone on here explain. these are on Ebay.co.uk. in the 'american' car section. Price may look expensive to you guys but remember where I am, bet you wouldn't want to run your 460s here at $7-8 a gallon.
    thanks in advance for any info and good luck to ya.
    Jerry..........( Hudson truck man)

thesals is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 mustangFB, 69 econline Drag Van

the 460 cobra jet stuff fits the standard 460, the cobra jet is just the high performance 460... ford now also makes a pretty 460 super cobra jet crate motor... puts out over 600hp out of the box...
    just because your car is faster, doesn't mean i cant outdrive you... give me a curvy mountain road and i'll beat you any day

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Those heads have a 75 cc combustion chamber, so if you're going to operate on pump gasoline, you'll have to install pistons with a reverse dome (dish) to get the static compression ratio down to where the motor will not ping. They also have fairly large 310 cc intake runners, so they will operate better in the higher rpm ranges where the speed of the motor will keep the mixture velocity high for good cylinder packing.

Edelbrock also makes a part number 60669 head for the 429/460 which features 95 cc chambers so that you can run flat-top pistons and 292 cc intake runners so that you don't have to buzz the motor so high to keep velocity up.

Your choice.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Hudsonguy,

Frankly, as far as all the 429/460 aluminum aftermarket heads on the market, the Edelbrocks are (in my opinion) pretty low on the food chain. If you want to spring for some aluminum heads so as to reap much greater power than the iron heads, I suggest you look elsewere, such as the TFS or Ford Super Cobra JEt offerings.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread