Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 help

Reply To Thread
    Draco is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1971 ford ltd

429 help

I just ran across a D1ve? 429 but the castings on the heads say d3ve XXXXXXX how much better are the dove heades than the d3ve heads... I'snt the dove head a 72cc and the d3ve a 91cc or something along that line? My valves how ever are the big ones the exhaust is a 1.74 or something like that. Would I be better off finding a set of dove heads or should I mill this set down and port these...I'm also in the market for a stroker crank and a dual plane intake if anyone has something avail. Also I need a tranny for this...I have a c-6 for a small block with shit kit and 3,000 stall for possible trade...I had a 351w in my ltd i got her to 14.2's but without changing gears I'm stuck there and the local ford garage cant seem to figure out what rear end i have! It's not a 9 inch nor an 8 inch and its not an 8.8 so wtf PLEASE HELP!

Ives Bradley is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 49 Ford tudor

U have the integral spicer rear, guts come out the back the old fashioned way. If u find a 9" from 66 to 73 it will swap in.
    Choose your battles well===If it dont go chrome it

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool Re: 429 help

Originally posted by Draco
    I just ran across a D1ve? 429 but the castings on the heads say d3ve XXXXXXX how much better are the dove heades than the d3ve heads... I'snt the dove head a 72cc and the d3ve a 91cc or something along that line? My valves how ever are the big ones the exhaust is a 1.74 or something like that. Would I be better off finding a set of dove heads or should I mill this set down and port these...I'm also in the market for a stroker crank and a dual plane intake if anyone has something avail. PLEASE HELP!
    D3VE heads are typically 96-97 cc's. D0VE heads are typicaly 76 cc's. Both came from the factory with 2.08 intake and 1.65 exhaust valves.

The factory issue 429's with the D3VE heads have a very dismal compression ratio. One way to improve this is to swap out the heads for some earlier units, such as C8VE's, C9VE's or D0VE's. Another way to get almost the same compression increase is by adding flat top pistons. It really depends what your intentions are with the motor. Also, D3VE heads utilize a different valve train than the D0VE heads, valve train swap is also required.

A D3VE head cannot be milled down so much as to reduce its combustion chamber volume to that of the early-style (D0VE, etc.) heads; it is a different casting.

Contrary to recent beliefs, a D3VE head can be made to work as a good performance street head, but in a short stroke 429 compression ratio suffers unless you run a huge, heavy domed piston.

If you want to go with a stroker, a good person to get stroker rotating assemblies is from Bryan Adams at scatstroker@hotmail.com Bryan is a reputable dealer and not a fly-by-night ebay seller.

If you want ported D0VE or D3VE castings, I have them for sale in any condtion, from bare and uported to fully prepped with oversize valves, etc.

Paul

parkerusaf is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1978 Ford Ranchero

hello Paul, I'm new to this forum. You caught my eye with that last paragraph. I just bought a ranchero with a 429, D3VE style heads. How much are you wanting for the ready to go DOVE's.
    Anything is possible if you don't know what your talking about!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Originally posted by parkerusaf
    I just bought a ranchero with a 429, D3VE style heads. How much are you wanting for the ready to go DOVE's.
    We have a pair of D0VE-C heads in stock and can refurbish them to stock spec's. Total cost to you would be $375 for cleaned and blasted heads, stock spec valve hardware (std valve job on stock valves, new valve seals, springs, retainers and new keepers). If you want to swap out your D3VE heads for these D0VE's, please note that this price does not include the rockers or rocker studs. We do not offer studs and rockers.

Prices go up from there (for big valves, porting, etc.). All prices do not include shipping costs.

Turnaround time for us to recondition and ship a pair of D0VE-C heads is about 10 days after receipt of payment.

I have sent you an email so that you may contact me off-forum, let me know you received it.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 04-05-2005 at 07:28 PM.

Reply To Thread